Se Used In Como se dice

0

Como se dice means How do you say in english, but I am confused about the se part. The Spanish dictionary says se means himself or herself. It does not mean the same thing in Como se dice. Why''''

updated DIC 5, 2008
posted by Marco

0

I know this was posted a long time ago, but in case anyone else looks at it to find the answer, I have to set the record straight.

Yes, 'se' can be reflexive, meaning someone's doing something to him/herself, but the 'impersonal se' that everyone's referring to doesn't mean simply 'one' or 'you' -- it's the indirect verb. That means that rather than someone doing something (direct), something is done by someone.

Hence, 'se dice' means 'is said,' and "como se dice ___|_" means literally "how is \___|_ said."

Other examples:
'se oye' = 'is heard' -- La television no se oye desde la cocina. = You can't hear the TV (literally, The
TV is not heard) from the kitchen.
The song De Colores includes the line, 'De colores se viste el campo en la primavera.' This
could be either use of 'se' -- either the countryside is clothed in colors, or it clothes
itself in colors.

updated DIC 5, 2008
posted by Joy
0

I have found a lot of them through search engines.

posted by Cherry
0

hi cherry
where on earth do you find all these web sites. i am adding the useful ones to "favourites" in my browser . i am collecting so many that pretty soon, i will need a browser to search my "favourites".

0

The particular example that was given was in impersonal se, but here are some other uses of se.
http://www.aulahispanica.com/node/233

posted by Cherry
0

se means himself or herself only in reflexive verbs: mirarse al espejo (look at oneself in the mirror)

Se has many meanings and it is impossible to pinpoint it on only one translation.

if you give us examples with your doubts, you will get more than one reply, I am sure.

0

Se in this case is the "impersonal se". It more or less means How does one say? or How do you say? One or you in this case doesn't refer to any particular person. It is just a general statement.

posted by Cherry