Should I test out of Spanish 2?
So I took Spanish 1 at school last year, and did very well. I love learning Spanish, and am working to someday be fluent in it. I studied a lot over summer break and feel like I'm making really good progress, so I want to teach myself and try to test out of Spanish 2. I don't have room this year to take it, so to take Spanish 4 by the time I graduate, I have to take 2 summer classes and double up next year. I talked to both of the Spanish teachers the other day to ask about testing out at the end of the year, but I think they thought I wanted to test out now. One of them spoke to me in Spanish to see if I could have a conversation, but I haven't had much practice with it so I still get really nervous and freeze up when I have to actually speak it. I think I can read and write very well, but I wasn't given the chance to show them. They didn't think it was a good idea to test out, and said I could come back at the end of the year, but didn't recommend it. My sister is going to take me to this place where I can go and practice my speaking, so I think that will help. I am also studying at least an hour or two a day and doing things like changing my phone to Spanish, listening to Spanish music, following accounts of people who speak Spanish on social media, etc. My friends in Spanish 3 said I am doing very well, and I remember a lot of things they've forgotten. I understand that speaking is one of the main goals of learning a language, and I don't want to be put in a class that I'm not ready for, but I feel that I am very motivated to do what it takes to be successful. If I'm not able to, I'm still going to study on my own regardless because it can only help me. I looked through the teachers' course websites as well, and know a lot of what this year's Spanish 2 students are learning. Should I try again at the end of the year, or just go through with the class even though it might mean I can't take Spanish 4?
4 Answers
Si escribieras tu pregunta en español te aconsejaría "¡Sí!" sin reserva.
Do you have to decide now? Can you wait and decide near the end of the year? It seems to me that at that time, you can talk with Spanish teachers about it and maybe have the full conversation in Spanish that the one teacher wanted to have the other day.
I would listen to the teachers' arguments for or against testing out, and give a lot of weight to their opinions when making my decision.
I think I would listen to the teachers, if I were you. They understand your school system and know what is required. And , if you have been working with them for more than a year they probably have a fair idea of your capabilities, better than your sister and friends.
You have this school year to work on it, so go for it. One idea might be to find a kid taking Spanish 2 this year and shadow his or her class - do the homework, see if you can get a copy of their tests after they've been given and take them yourself to see how you do. Definitely go with your sister and practice speaking and listening to Spanish.
At the end of the year, revisit with your teachers and make your case for trying to test out. By that time, you'll know if you would be able to handle it, and they'll have a better idea of your commitment.
Good for you for taking the bull by the horns!! Good luck!!
![]()