5

What is correct ""I would like to talk to you in private" or "I would like to talk with you in private"

3

There are subtle differences.

"I would like to talk to you in private" means that you want to tell the person something. (You are talking at them not with them)

"I would like to talk with you in private" means that you would like to discuss something with them.

The second example is much more polite, especially if you exchanged the word 'talk' with the word 'speak'. 'I would like to speak with you in private'.

• Mar 24, 2014
  • I agree, a tiny, tiny difference. Hardly noticable. - annierats Mar 24, 2014
  • Estoy de acuerdo tambien- but in my opinion the difference is significant. - ian-hill Mar 24, 2014
  • Very true. :) - rac1 Mar 24, 2014
2

Both of these will work perfectly.

• Mar 24, 2014
  • Thanks for your answer, for you what is more common? - tomasxenix Mar 24, 2014
  • "I would like to talk with you", sounds slightly more formal. - HCAStudent Mar 24, 2014
  • I would say talk to you. Not perhaps strictly correct english but it's how my friends and me would speak. - GabriellaMon Mar 24, 2014
2

Both are absolutely correct my frend .. but ,,"talk to you" sounds better to me smile

• Mar 24, 2014
  • in my country ,, most would say ,, talk to you .. but talk with you is also acceptable - 00b055e0 Mar 24, 2014
  • Hi jimmy, I'm afraid we disagree. :-) - 007c5fc1 Mar 24, 2014
1

There is a slight difference between the two although they are often used interchangeably.

Talk to you - I would like to tell you something in private.

Talk with you - I would like to have a conversation with you in private.

• Mar 24, 2014
1

I accept to talk with suggests more of a discussion and it is becoming more common in the UK, but generally when I hear talk 'with' I think American!

• Mar 24, 2014
  • That's funny because I'm American and I almost always say "talk to" not with, which so more formal and more UK! - acshepard Mar 25, 2014
1

From an English teacher’s perspective “talk to” implies a short one way conversation, where as “talk with” suggests more of a two way conversation.

Making a small change we can change the attitude of what we are communicating. I don’t like being “spoken to”, but I enjoy “speaking with”.

By substituting “with” for “to” the whole demeanor of the phrase changes. Of course tone of voice and body language has a major impact; but I’ll leave those factors out of the current discussion.

Reference: "Up Ahead Coaching"

• Mar 24, 2014
  • | Edited by rac1 Mar 24, 2014
  • ohh, I did not know this, thanks for this nice answer ,, but do people really differentiate between the two in real life situations..like would it not be polite enough if I say ,, may I talk to u for a minute - 00b055e0 Mar 25, 2014
0

I would use "I would like to talk with you in private" because this indicates that you will be talking with the person as conversations are usually between atleast two people.

You could say "I would like to talk to you in private" if you wanted. It sounds like you really need to pass information to that person. It may be perceived as a one way conversation so be careful with your tone of voice as well.

• Mar 24, 2014
  • | Edited by jphip Mar 24, 2014
0

A mi parecer, no hay ninguna diferencia. Los dos son correctas y sirven. Lo que dicen los otros, que una suena más cortés o una indica una conversación, puede ser cierto pero en realidad todo eso es como la psicología de un idioma y la verdad no importa. Eres un beginner, lo que importa es que sepas inglés "conversational" o inglés familiar. Los dos sirven, y si quieres asegurarte de que parezcas cortés, usa "please."

If you want to know what sounds more common to me, then I would say that I probably hear both equally. Honestly, I can't even differentiate a time in my head where I have heard one over the other. It's like the same thing to me.

• Mar 24, 2014
  • | Edited by modrak Mar 24, 2014