HomeQ&Awhat "decirte" means?

what "decirte" means?

2

Hello, could anyone tell me what exactly the word "decirte" means? I found it in the sentence: "Tengo que decirte una cosa" which is translated as "I've got something to tell you". But there isn't in the conjugation tables of the verb "decir".

I'm novice in Spanish so forgive me if it is a stupid question.

posted by inkdu

3

It is the same as saying "Te tengo que decir." I'm learning Spanish also and I came across the same thing. As far as I know and based on different articles that I have read, when a verb is not conjugated, you can attach object pronoun to it. For example, "voy a comprarlo or lo voy a comprar," which means "I'm going to buy it."

On the other hand, you can't say, "comprélo" which should mean "I bought it." the correct form is, "lo compré"

Therefore, "te" is an object pronoun which means "you," and it can be attached to the end of the verb because it is in the infinitive. more examples: te llamo or llamarte, " I call you" but you have to say "te llamé not llaméte" "I called you"

If i'm wrong, correct me guys.

Hope it helps!

edited by spuny
posted by spuny
Nothing wrong at all, very well said! - diagonx, JUL 22, 2013
Well put :) - ian-hill, JUL 22, 2013
2

Here you go - this article tells you more about it:

http://www.spanishdict.com/topics/show/16

posted by togtog
1

The te tacked on to the end means 'you'. So it is the infinitive version of decir, with you put on the end... Spanish is like that... sneaky!

posted by togtog
oh, so easy explanation.Thank you very much! - inkdu, JUL 21, 2013
1

Hi' The only stupid question is the question not asked'' go to the congugator here and look for ¨decir¨and you will see it in all its forms. Word reference.com will show you the use of Decir Your translation is pretty good

posted by pacofinkler