4

What is the main definition for these words? This is some of what I found for these words as they relate to the word "ticket":

1. Billete - a train ticket, a bus ticket, or a plane ticket. (billete de ida y vuelta o billete de ida/round-trip ticket or one-way ticket)

2. Entrada - an admission ticket for a movie, and other paid events.

3. Boleto - a lottery ticket, a parking ticket, a voting slip. Boleto is also used interchangeably for billete and entrada.

I understand that these words have other meanings (billete can also be a bank document, an ID card, etc.) but for this question I just want to know how the three words are used in regards to the word "ticket".

Can any of these words be used interchangeable? (i.e., "Boleta" for billete and entrada.) (I saw a couple of threads on this subject from 2009 and 2010, but I wasn't quite sure I understood the answers so I am trying to ask the question a little differently by listing each of the three words separately.)

Are there other Spanish words that can be used for the word "ticket", and if so, how are they used? (i.e., I found the word "pasaje" but I'm not sure if it is interchangeable with billete or boleto, or how I would use "pasaje" in a sentence.)

Thank you all in advance for your assistance!

• Thank you for this post, Nilda! - Silvia_Tcher Jun 6, 2012
  • Hola Silvia. You're welcome friend. I'm just trying to understand this a little better. - Nilda-Ballar Jun 6, 2012

4

Nilda - here is a page I found that talks about this. Apparently boleto, billete, entrada, pasaje, and a couple of others are very regional in their application.

Sorry that my ipad doesn't let me make it a link.

Click here.

• Hola Noetol. I helped make your link! Hope that was okay! - bandit51jd Jun 6, 2012
  • Thank you Noetol for the link and thank you also bandit! - Nilda-Ballar Jun 6, 2012
  • Thank you, Noe! - Silvia_Tcher Jun 6, 2012
  • Thanks for the help! - Noetol Jun 7, 2012
1

Entradas are used for cinema, theatre and such like whereas billete is used for tickets on transport trains etc.

• Jun 6, 2012
  • Sorry I posted the above information that you already knew, I didn't read your post properly first time. - kenwilliams Jun 6, 2012
  • That's okay Ken. Glad to hear what you have to say because you live in Barcelona. I know these words are also used differently in other regions. - Nilda-Ballar Jun 6, 2012
1

A friend of mine who is helping me with my Spanish (Chilean) used the word pasaje when talking about a bus ticket. She's fully fluent in both languages.

• Jun 6, 2012