HomeQ&AWord meaning

Word meaning

0

I would like to learn some Spanish to help me understand my hobby of stamp collecting. I collect early Filipino stamps among other countries and as you know the Philippines were under Spanish domain until 1898. I recently brought a stamp from a gentlemen from Spain and it had a certificate attached to authenic the stamp, however, the certificate was in Spanish. I have translated most of it except for one word. The word is EDIFIL n with a small o following the n. I think the word should be redrawn, however, in the Spanish dictionary there is no such word. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please e-mail be back at chuckrowena@suddenlink.net Maybe I might meet a fellow collector.
Respectfully yours,
Chuck

updated MAR 28, 2011
posted by Chuck-Michael

0

you most likely have a mac no? for that you do. ALT 0 ººººººººººººººº

updated MAR 28, 2011
posted by evaocho
0

I typed alt + everything, got some interesting things, but not itty, bitty o.

N¤ That's the best I can do

updated DIC 22, 2007
posted by motley
0

Are you sure that it isn't one of your international characters? I didn't set mine up for that. I just use the alt and the numbers.

updated DIC 22, 2007
posted by Cherry
0

That doesn't work for me, I have my keyboard set up for international characters. This is what I get ,'¡½¼ . I did find out how to get ¼½¾ ÿø©, however.

updated DIC 22, 2007
posted by motley
0

I't was magic. LOL No, really, just do alt. + 0176 °.

updated DIC 22, 2007
posted by Cherry
0

Cherry,
How did you get that itty, bitty o in there'

updated DIC 22, 2007
posted by motley
0

You are most welcome.

updated DIC 22, 2007
posted by Cherry
0

Thank you for your kind reply. I had one lady here in Amarillo, a former Spanish teacher, tell me it meant built, however, when I went to the Spanish dictionary online, the word built was translated into something else and not EDIFIL. The stamp in question is a redrawn stamp from Filipino stamp #6. That is why I thought it might mean "redrawn" as listed in my Scott's catalouge for the stamp in question. I have learn some Spanish in working on my Filipino stamp collection, in particular, stamps from 1854-1898. Impresos-in print used on newspapers, correos-post office or postage, telegrafos-which I think means telegraph and a lot of different values-cuartos, reales, centimos, peseta, milesimas, etc. Again thank you for your reply.

updated DIC 22, 2007
posted by Chuck-Michael
0

Mira a este sitio de web. EDIFIL es "la marca de prestigio de la filatelia española."

updated DIC 22, 2007
posted by manutd
0

The English term for stamp collecting is Philately. The Spanish word is filatelia
I believe Edifil is some kind of an organization for stamp collectors and authenication. Nº is the abbreviation for número, meaning number.

updated DIC 22, 2007
posted by Cherry