HomeQ&ASpanish confusion 2: "te", "ti" "tu", "le" and "se"

Spanish confusion 2: "te", "ti" "tu", "le" and "se"

1

Can anyone please explain clearly when to use "te", "ti" "tu", "le" and "se"

updated Jan 29, 2012
edited by 00494d19
posted by Jaydánte
Please put your question into the title, thanks - 00494d19, Jan 29, 2012

5

Te can be an indirect object pronoun or a direct object pronoun in Spanish. As an indirect pronoun te means "to you" "for you" Example Te di el regalo ayer. I gave the gift to you yesterday. As a direct object pronoun Te takes the place of the direct object. I know you. Te Conozco. Ti is used after a preposition A ti, de ti, para ti. Tengo mucho amor para ti. I have a lot of love for you. Tu is a possessive adjective. Tu perro ladra demasiado. Your dog barks too much. Le is an indirect object pronouns which mean to/for him, her, you formal, it. Le di el regalo a él. I gave the gift to him. Se is used in place of le and les when one has a third person direct object pronoun and indirect object pronoun used together. I gave it to him. In Spanish we cannot say le lo di. I gave it to him. We have to change the lo to se and now we can say se lo di. When using object pronouns together the indirect object pronoun comes before the direct object pronoun. I find this link to be helpful when I need grammatical clarification link text

Ojála que tenga buen dia.

updated Jan 29, 2012
edited by ian-hill
posted by Spteach52
Here is your first vote - welcom to SD. :) - ian-hill, Jan 29, 2012