HomeQ&AImmersion Spanish

Immersion Spanish

0

I have tentative plans to go to Mexico, Central or South America for about a month, next August, September or October. Would like to hear the experiences & suggestions of others who have done this. I prefer some place away from the coast. I live in Florida and see plenty of water everyday.

posted by motley

0

¡Hola Motley!

Vamos a ir a Costa Rica próximo mes, yo le diré sobre mi viaje cuando regresé. San José, La Fortuna (Arenal), Monteverde, y lugeo, Manuel Antonio.

Mi español se ha mejorado, pero yo aún uso la ayuda de "translator" un poco...:o)

posted by Megustacaballos
0

Very informative Luke, gracias.

posted by motley
0

I did an immersion at IMAC school in Guadalajara. Great experience. Not too "touristy". I did a long immersion (5 months) in Buenos Aires last year. That was the best for me. I might move there some day. Loved it. If you are thinking about Panama City as a destination for Spanish immersion, maybe think again. I went and had a lousy trip. The schools aren't good and I found the city to be dangerous and unwelcoming.

I've written in detail about my immersion experiences on my website [url=http://www.study-spanish-language.com" target="_blank]Study Spanish Language[/url]

posted by Luke
0

I just wanted to keep this on the 1st page. I still want suggestions & hear your experience with language schools.

posted by motley
0

If you go to Guatemala don't miss Antigua. It is a bit touristy but worth seeing the first capital of Central America and all its history. I love the cobblestone streets and all the old historical churches and buildings.

updated MAR 14, 2008
posted by Sally
0
posted by Alba
0

I can recommend El Sol Spanish Language School in Lima Peru - its a really friendly unassuming school and its programme is excellent cos they do all kinds of things on top of the academic stuff ie trips out, cooking classes, volunteer projects etc. if you want to do immersion style learning theyve got an intensive course. i didnt do that, but a lot of people do.

posted by Candygirl
0

Es una buena elección, Guanajuato aparte de ser hermosa ciudad tiene mucha cultura mexicana y podras practicar bastante el español.

Saludos y Suerte !

posted by Alba
0

Gracias Alba, estoy pensando de ir allí por español inmersión.n

posted by motley
0

Es Hermosa la ciudad de Guanajuato !!

si, es fácil el acceso. =)

posted by Alba
0

Has anyone been to Guanajuato? Don Quijote has a school there. It seems there is easy access from the León airport.

posted by motley
0

Last summer I travelled around the Yucatan Peninsula. If you're going there to practice Spanish, stay away from the touristy areas like Tulum and Isla Mujeres, because everyone there speaks English. The place where I really got a chance to use my Spanish was the town of Merida.
Whatever you do, stay away from Playa del Carman, Cancun and Cozumel they're horribly touristy and not much different to Florida!

updated DIC 29, 2007
posted by sara4
0

I second those who have already said Peru. It is the most amazing country, im not even joking. I spent my time there in the more jungly areas- San Martin region. Its beautiful and so full of rich culture and tradition. And the people are so genuinly kind. Not to many people who speek english there in the more jungly cities, so you will for sure use spanish 99.9% of the time. The only thing is, they speek a ton of slang, and their pronunciation of letters is was differnent from the traditional spanish taught and learned here in the states. I was in Moyobamba, Peru (the city of orchids).
Hands down, Peru is amazingggg. Lima is nice too, but ehhhh....go to the jungle, you'll learn so much more about Peru's culture, and spanish in general.

updated DIC 29, 2007
posted by Jen
0

Hola motley.

Te recomiendo Puebla,Puebla, Mexico, yo vivi en la ciudad de Puebla por 6 meses y de verdad es una de las mas bellas de todo Mexico, esta muy cerca del Distrito Federal.
La ciudad de Puebla es segura, su clima es calido, tiene una vegetacion maravillosa y la representa a la cultura mexicana en su maxima expresion, la comida es deliciosa. Cerca de Puebla esta una poblacion llamada Cholula ahi hay muchos turistas, ademas que residen gran variedad de extranjeros de todas partes del mundo.
Esta ciudad esta se destaca por tener un muy buen nivel en su educacion, cuenta con reconocidas Universidades donde imparten clases de español a extranjeros.

updated DIC 29, 2007
posted by Alba
0

I have a Peruvian friend that I met overseas, and after listening to a few lessons on Peruvian Spanish at SpanishPod101.com I've also made up my mind to go there. Spanish study is high on my list of things to do, so I'll definitely check out the language centre!

updated DIC 25, 2007
posted by maxie