Ordenador vs. Computador

2

I have always heard a computer referred to in Spanish as computadora here in California.

I have also heard "ordenador". Is this term only used in Spain?

updated Apr 24, 2011
posted by kmeza

4

I'm sure that either would be recognized anwhere, but:

ordenador

The ESP next to definiton 3 is for España meaning that the word is used mostly in Spain.

updated Apr 24, 2011
Finally they decided to add "Esp" to meanings and words used only in Spain. In the past they could not be bothered, so you never knew.
3

No, it's not just in Spain. I've hear "ordenador" in South America, although it's not common. I've also heard a rather sexist remark that if it's working correctly it's called "el computador"; if it's not working right it called "la computadora". Both "el computador" and "la computadora" are grammatically correct. I would stick with the feminine.

updated Apr 24, 2011
edited by CalvoViejo
posted by CalvoViejo
Funny.
wow calvo, nice to see you around, I hope all is well with you and abuelita:)
Very funny, hehe.
2

Probably. "Computador(a)" has been adopted following the English term, while "ordenador" is a clear imitation of the French term for it.

updated Apr 24, 2011
posted by lazarus1907
Ordinateur (fr.) which means "God that brings order to the world."
1

Just to through a wrench in the works, one of my dictionaries shows computador for a desktop computer and computadora for a laptop.

updated Apr 24, 2011
posted by Yeser007
1

Yes, in general "ordenador" appears in spanish books from Spain. In south américa we use "computadora", "compu" as informal.

updated Apr 24, 2011
posted by blackvir25
That is my understanding of the differences too :)
© Curiosity Media Inc.  |  Mobile site