What are the differences between tomar un taxi y coger un taxi?

3

I heard about it before that Coger has bad meaning and better not say it, but I have no idea why it´s bad ? In dictionary it doesn´t have bad meaning.

Or maybe in some other countries that mean bad meaning? What does it mean in bad meaning?

posted by zhmelissa

4

En España significa exactamente igual "coger un taxi" que "tomar un taxi".En lenguaje de la calle,se usa más "coger un taxi".

En Latinoamerica ,"coger" es una "swear word"

posted by lukaaxx
Wrong! There are FOUR countries in Latin America where "coger" is used on a daily basis! I've just decided to fight that misconception!
Coger is fine in Colombia
Yes that is true they use it in Columbia and it is acceptable I found that out recently from a native Columbian girl :)
Je je
3

Melissa, it means the "F" word wink From my understanding, Spaniards use it to mean to "catch" a taxi, while most Latin Americans would laugh, wondering why they would want to f*** a taxi, if you catch my drift. So to answer your question, tomar un taxi would mean to take a taxi, but coger un taxi would mean to catch a taxi, which is actually different, I'd say. But if I was in Central or South America, I'd opt for saying tomar! Hehe.

posted by nikki_joy
"Most" is accurate, but there are 4 countries where this use is normal in Latin America.
Interesting, which ones?
A very helpful answer nikki. Thanks
1

I coger taxis and buses on a daily basis in Bogotá and have never received the slightest titter for having done so. One can coger and recoger here to one's heart's content sin problema...

To be fayre, 'take' can have sexual connotations in English too, it all depends on the context and its obvious accordingly.

Here, tirar pertains to the sexual act and so one has to lanzar dados.

People look at me oddly when I refer to a cigarette as a fag, totally normal in British English.

I always laugh when recounting the tale of my friend's father asking an American Airlines stewardess if there were any loose fags on board...

edited by afowen
posted by afowen
"to be fair"
Definately worth a giggle!
Hahaha!
"lanzar dardos"
I meant to say dados, as in dice.
1

In Spain you can use coger un taxi or tomar un taxi ...they are both acceptable although coger is more common. However, in some Spanish speaking Latin American countries such as Mexico coger is a rude word and should be avoided at all costs!.

I have recently learnt that coger is acceptable in Columbia from a native Columbian girl (whom I have successfully encouraged to join SpanishDict). She told me that her (native) Mexican friend told her that coger was a bad word and should not be used especially to ladies.

I am sure that Lazarus is right and coger can be used in some Latin American countries. I believe that Peru (my country of birth) is Not one of them and tomar is used instead!

I hope this helps grin

edited by FELIZ77
posted by FELIZ77
1

Just a cultural difference. Nothing else.

posted by lazarus1907
1

Please remember you can use the Search button in Answers to check previous threads before making a question, just in case someone has had the same doubt.

Here ´s an example. Check this thread

edited by mediterrunio
posted by mediterrunio
1

omg...

Some of the unniest ones were knock up (wake up vs. get pregnant) and knock off (have sex with vs. stop working for the day)
knock off can also mean kill in some circles
1

Is it a very serious, very bad word? What will happen if I said it not on purpose? Will they beat me up??

posted by zhmelissa
If they beat you up, they will have to beat up another 40 million of speakers, me including them.
The answer is NO: most people won't have any mercy with others from their own country, but not with outsiders.
They'd probably laugh, not beat you up =)
1

Don't use "coger" in México anyway, tomar will do fine. All other forms of "coger" are ok.

Follow the link in mediterruno's answer for a lot more on this.

edited by pacofinkler
posted by pacofinkler
0

In Ecuador, coger is fine.

posted by lorenzo9
Well, so we know that "coger" is fine in Ecuador, Colombia, Puerto Rico - I seem to remember that it is ok in Chile as well... Are those "the four" countries you had in mind, Lazarus?
0

I thought that coger was offensive only in Mexico.

posted by ocbizlaw
0

Pillar un taxi.

posted by jeezzle