What does "chombo" mean?

1

Does anyone know what the word "chombo" means? It's on a bottle of hot sauce from Panama. It says "picante chombo, auténtica sazón panameña".

updated Jul 5, 2014
posted by 0097f7e0

4

Hola:

En este caso es el tipo de picante... Y en este contexto no es despectivo.

chombo, ba. 1. m. y f. despect. coloq. Pan. Persona negra de habla inglesa.

Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados

updated Jun 22, 2013
posted by LuisaGomezBartle
This explanation is correct. I lived in panama for a couple years
3

**

1. Chombo refers to habanero pepper sauce (i.e., salsa picante).
  2. It also is a non-derogatory term for people of African descent in Panama.

Ex: Hola Chombo.**

updated Jul 7, 2014
posted by carlos_gringo
3

chombo = habanero pepper

salsa picante de ají chombo = habanero pepper sauce

link

updated Jun 20, 2012
posted by lorenzo9
3

chombo and red peper

vampire

updated Jun 20, 2012
posted by mediterrunio
2

It could be a mixture of two words.

Like in english when we say chillax, it is relax and chill.

updated Jul 5, 2014
posted by dewclaw
1

It can be a term of endearment or derogatory depends on who is saying it....just like the N word. And that's exactly what it means...the N word. The sauce is called that because you know us black people love hot sauce and/or because black people are stereotyped as always being heated or angry all the time. It can be used for blacks from the Caribbean who speak english, but not always. My oldest brother's nickname is Chombo. My Aunt just explained the the hotsauce part to me two mths ago when I was in Panama. But my Aunt said she doesn't know how Chombo was switched around to mean a black person she said that Christopher Columbus called the natives of Panama"Chomba" Now what are the origins of these words? I can't tell you that. I hope this helps. I am a Panamanian American. SN: its not habanero pepper, its a pepper called Scotch Bonnet....ten times hotter than habanero lolol

updated Jul 5, 2014
edited by 777weeks
posted by 777weeks
0

It's a name. It doesn't mean anything in particular. There's also a reggaeton artist known as El Chombo, and one of the characters in a William Gibson book adopts the name Bobby Chombo.

updated Nov 5, 2010
posted by KevinB
© Curiosity Media Inc.  |  Mobile site