HomeQ&A¿Como se dice 'pitcher' en español?

¿Como se dice 'pitcher' en español?

1

The dictionary on this site states that the Spanish word for 'pitcher' is jarra, which also means 'jug' or 'jar'. Where I am from people go to the bar and order a 'pitcher', which is a half-gallon container used mainly for beer. I was wondering if anyone knew of a Spanish word for 'pitcher' that would be used in this context (a bar) besides jarra? Thanks.

posted by Jsanthara

2

alt text alt text

Read this thread on jarra

jarra alt text

That picture has just inspired me to get a lata out of the fridge. - kenwilliams, JUL 19, 2010
Did your teacher ever tell you not to eat in class if you don't have enough to share? - 0074b507, JUL 19, 2010
1

I think jarra is best because, although now somewhat antiquated, the term "pitcher" refers to a certain kind of jug.

Quote: "a container, usually with a handle and spout or lip, for holding and pouring liquids" .

The closest I've seen to the British "pitcher" usually made either of glass or crystal is the traditional earthenware jarra de barro you can find anywhere in Spain because they share the same form and features.

Of course they can also be found in china= porcelana but typically in UK glass or crystal and in Spain jarra de barro in terms of form and function.

mmmmmm..... sips malt whiskey.....grin

Ahhhhhhh, I see, you mean jarro as in large glass of beer, sorry!

edited by lagartijaverde
posted by lagartijaverde
1

Jarra! arghggg!

edited by 002262dd
posted by 002262dd
¡eso! - margaretbl, JUL 19, 2010
1

you can say jarra but I think the most accurate translation is cántaro

posted by Nickita24
0

pichel

jarra

vasija

vaso

Fuente, Word Reference Forum

Disclaimer: pichel is used in Guatemala. Vaso to me is a drinking glass of about 12 or 16 Oz.

edited by viajero
posted by viajero
vasija suena muy pequeñita.... - margaretbl, JUL 19, 2010
0

Sinonimos son: lanzador, jarra/jarro y cántaro.

Porqué no usas la expresion: grande vaso de cerveza?

posted by JorgeViento
lanzador is a pitcher on a baseball team, not a container for beer. Well, they might drink beer, but it's not the same word. - KevinB, JUL 19, 2010
Un vaso grande de cerveza meaning a large glass of beer,not grande vazo de cerveza. - viajero, JUL 19, 2010
Un gran vazo de cerveza means " a great glass of beer". - viajero, JUL 19, 2010
I just say una cerveza grande if I want a large beer and una caña for a small glass. - kenwilliams, JUL 19, 2010
siempre digo 'jarra'!!!!! - margaretbl, JUL 19, 2010
0

hola, si vienes a México le decimos "Tarro de Cerveza"

hello, if you come to México we say "Tarro de Cerveza"

Saludos,

posted by carlosmonsivais
0

the right word is Jarro. and there no other word for this type of drink.

edited by Miguel77
posted by Miguel77