HomeQ&ATyping Accent Marks?

Typing Accent Marks?

1

I am having trouble trying to figure out how to type accent marks on the computer. I googled how to do it, and I didn't get a good answer. I have a laptop so I can't use the ALT+ #### to access the marks. (I do understand there is a bar at the bottom with the accents but, I want to know how to type it on other things.

updated SEP 29, 2012
posted by lucas322

3

I just use the windows US International keyboard. Works like a charm.

updated AGO 5, 2010
posted by petersenkid2
3

Sorry the Alt codes don't work on a laptop, because they really are the easiest to use.

There is a simple little program, actually designed by a SD member that may work for you, you just have to load it each time you boot your laptop.

Vikingo

Make yourself a note before you click on "yes" to use the shortcuts: the instructions disappear! There aren't that many, but I am trying to remember so many things these days and the old sponge isn't what it used to be!

"Hold down Windows Logo Key and press Q for ¿, x for ¡, a e i n o u y for á é í ñ ó ú ü.

Holding down Shift gives capital letters (Á ...)" A sincere thanks to Vikingo!

If you are using Windows XP, 7 or Vista and would like to use the United States - International Keyboard:Windows

updated AGO 5, 2010
edited by LateToDinner
posted by LateToDinner
3

Here is alink that should be of help. smile

updated AGO 5, 2010
posted by Nicole-B
it works! Thanks! - lucas322, JUL 17, 2010
De nada. :) - Nicole-B, JUL 17, 2010
2

Nicole's link pretty much sums it up, but there is a great program written by an SD user that I like to use. Here's the link. It can do all the accented vowels, the ü, and the upside down punctuation marks. For vowels, just hit the Windows key and the vowel; for the ü, just hit the Windows key and the y; for the ¿, hit the Windows key and the q, and for the ¡, hit the Windows key and the x. You do have to run it each time you start your computer, but you can just leave it on your downloads list, or drag it to your desktop.

updated AGO 5, 2010
posted by MacFadden
0

I've had the same problem, and discovered this a few days ago. If you don't want to install software, and don't want to make changes to your laptop, try this.

I use the "character map" in Windows. You can select the symbol you need, and copy it to the place you need it. I rarely need them, since they are in the answer box, but it's another option for you.

updated AGO 5, 2010
posted by fontanero
0

I wrote a program myself, and of course I'm biased (LOL) but I think it's the best option out there!

Basically hold down CapsLock and press a to type á, and so on and so forth.

It works for all modern Windows OSes.

You can learn more about it here.

posted by 1hourprogrammer