HomeQ&Atype of spanish

type of spanish

1

Hello,

I would like to as what type of Spanish this is, i.e. European Spanish, Portuguese, South American Spanish etc. I know some are not truly speaking Spanish but some other resources I have used do not match up with my European Spanish friends.

Thank you

Regards

Aaron

edited by Jsanthara
posted by aaronhayes1982

3

First I think you should realize that Spanish is one language with several dialects. There is no Peninsular Spanish and Latin American Spanish in the context that they are two distinct languages. People form Latin American and European Spanish speakers can understand each other. There are just variations in pronunciation, usage, etc. from one region to the next as there are in any country(s) where distance or physical barriers isolate people from one another.. In regards to this site, we discuss those difference continuously so I wouldn't say peninsular Spanish is favored or Latin American Spanish, etc. I would say that the grammar instruction here favors Castilian Spanish in that all verb conjugations will list vosotros forms, voseo forms are rarely included, etc. I don't know how much of that is due to presenting one region's usage over another as much as it is that the grammar articles, etc. are made for English language speakers learning Spanish. (They are most likely to follow the style presented in classroom text books taken by English speakers learning Spanish which is more peninsular than Latin American.) If all of the grammar articles were written by hispanohablantes we would probably see a greater variation of grammar rules presented depending on where the author was from.

¡Bienvenido al foro!

Welcome to the forum!

2

Thanks for the replies, it has straightened it out for me. I am from Northern Ireland so English is my first (and only) language. My friends spoke Portuguese and I do realise it is another language but they were very comfortable with Spanish, not surprising really.

PS: I rushed the first message and looking back the grammar and spelling was rubbish!

posted by aaronhayes1982
Glad you were helped! We're all here to learn. :-) - chaparrito, JUL 18, 2010
2

Your question is difficult to answer. This site does not teach any specific country's version of Spanish, rather a more general, default Spanish. There are users from many different Spanish speaking countries here. There have been posts about this in the past, so I am adding a link to one of the better ones. By the way, please use correct spelling and grammar on this website because there are also people here trying to learn English. Welcome to the forum.

what type of spanish

posted by Jsanthara
1

Check out this thread as well

link text

edited by lagartijaverde
posted by lagartijaverde
0

Aaron, I couldn't tell from your profile where you are from, but I'm going to guess that English is your first language. Well you are aware that English is the official language of many countries, but have you ever tried conversing with someone in English from one of those other countries? Like Australia, South Africa, Nigeria... big surprise Same language... but not what you may be used to! wink

And you probably already know this, but just to be clear...

Portuguese IS a different language. It is not a 'type of Spanish'. grin

posted by chaparrito