HomeQ&A'Ya' How to Use It

'Ya' How to Use It

4

I looked it up in the dictionary and ya it seems that it means "already". So how and when does one use it? I'm probably going to learn this next year in school....but I can't wait because I am on summer vacation! Haha.

GRACIAS :D

updated AGO 5, 2010
edited by Austin67427
posted by Austin67427
oh, and I looked in refrence and I couldn't find anything on "ya". If there is one just tell me how to get there :D - Austin67427, JUL 16, 2010

4

You're only gonna learn to use ya by listening to Spanish, it's used constantly. But one good usage is for saying the future. You just use ya and the present. "Ya vengo"="I'm comin'" You don't have to say "Yo vendré." "Ya me voy."="I'm leavin"

Or how we would say "any/no more." "¿Ya no me quieres?" "You don't love me any more?"

"¡Ya te calles!" "Shut up already!"

Oh! Ya que=now that. "Ya que has terminado con tu tarea, ¿que vas a hacer?" "Now that you're done with homework, whatcha gonna do?"

And you won't learn that in school spanish, dear. Unfortunately, I don't think school Spanish is worth anything for actually getting someone conversational (except for maybe if you take like 4 frikin years, but who does that?). Es una porqueria! hahaha

updated AGO 5, 2010
posted by Ashlita
5

It's one of those words that can be translated in many ways. Every language has them. (like "doch" in German). It can mean "still" or "already" or "right now" Examples: ¡Hazlo ya!
Do it now. Ya terminó. He's/she's finished it already. Ya iremos. We'll go later on Ya no fuma. He no longer smokes.

updated AGO 5, 2010
edited by Mokay
posted by Echoline
I meant , He no longer smokes. - Echoline, JUL 16, 2010
4

More uses (I hit send by mistake) Ya can be used strictly for emphasis as in , "Ya lo sé." meaning "I know!" or "Ya lo creo." meaning "Of course! (literally 'I believe it.') So you'll hear and see "ya" all over the place and little by little you'll get the feel of the word.

updated AGO 5, 2010
posted by Echoline
1

Actually I don't know about ''ya'' on Spanish but in my language ( Arabic ) ''ya'' is used to call someone like : ya lovely = ''hey lovely ! ''or simply ''lovely , '' smile

posted by 00b6f46c