HomeQ&AJícama and nopal.

Jícama and nopal.

3

Hello,

I was wondering how do you know these two words in English? I noticed that the translator on the site still uses the accent on the "i" when defining the fruit in English, so I am not sure if "jícama" has a different name in English. I also have this question about "nopal".

Are these two well known in USA? Would I have problems making someone understand what fruit and vegetable I'm talking about?

posted by MadderSky

2

Look at the links below.

Jícama

Nopal

As regards the above, you will have to wait for an American to answer.

edited by Eddy
Nice job Eddy! Her answer is Jicama and Prickly Pear! - LateToDinner, JUL 16, 2010
1

It is, the same kind.

Some people dislike nopales because they're slimy... but I love them, with some grated cheese on it. Delicious.

posted by MadderSky
1

The first one, jicama, I know of and have and I think is delicious. It can be bought here in America at higher end stores. I had to look up "nopal", never heard of it. I have seen it at some stores here, but never by that name. Here they would be called cactus leaves.

posted by amykay
1

Nopal refers to prickly pear cactus and you might be better off using that than nopal because Spanish name may not be as well known. Prickly pear catcus are more for landscape rather than food in the U.S though I did manage to find Prickly pear jelly. I have never heard of Jicama and I doubt you'd be able to find it outside of ethic markets and gourmet stores. in the U.S.

edited by BellaMargarita
posted by BellaMargarita
I just saw some (jicama) yesterday at Whole Foods Market in Colorado Springs, CO. - amykay, JUL 16, 2010
I agree that prickly pear would be more commonly known - nizhoni1, JUL 16, 2010
0

oh gosh, I was going to go buy til you said that Madder, is it like okra? I haaaate okra!

posted by margaretbl
You know, I had never heard of Okra before, but I looked it up and it doesn't look anything like a nopal. It looks like zucchini squash to me, haha. - MadderSky, JUL 21, 2010
0

Both Jicama and Nopalitos are easy to find in the Chicago area because we have a lot of Mexicans that live there. (Or are they Americans of Mexican descent?). Either way, you can find them at any Mexican grocery store or even at the "regular" grocery store in the Mexican food section.

If I were speaking to somebody who had no idea, I would call Jicama by its name (because I don't believe there is another name) and I would call nopalitos "cactus".

But really, anybody who knows anything about Mexican food knows Jicama and Nopalitos.

Now, on to the mole and the tacos al pastor!!

posted by petersenkid2
Ah, tacos al pastor...... I wish I could have some, but I'm on a diet. *Cries* - MadderSky, JUL 16, 2010
I had sopes and mole poblano for lunch with agua de horchata para tomar. -mmmmm - petersenkid2, JUL 16, 2010
Oh, my God.. sopes. Makes me want fly back to Colima for some. Makes my mouth water. - MadderSky, JUL 21, 2010
0

I haven't seen jicama before, but my Mexican friends at work have brought in some nopales. When cooked they seem a little like green beans. I believe they are from the same type of cactus pictured on the Mexican flag.

posted by estudiante9871
You are correct about the Mexican flag displaying an eagle standing on a nopal eating a snake. =) - Mokay, JUL 16, 2010
0

I get my jicama at Walmart here in New Mexico and saw it in Kentucky too. Nopal is for sale at walmart here also. I know I can eat it but have no idea how to prepare it.I beleive I saw Nopal in Arizona

posted by nizhoni1
I think the prickly pear is more common to find in the western states, from CA to probably CO, everywhere in between. - amykay, JUL 16, 2010
0

Wasn't familiar with Nopal but Prickly Pear is available in the US Southwest routinely.

But Jicama is everywhere. It is abundant on salad bars, places like Sizzlers, Soup Plantations, at Brunches on Sunday...

But oops, I had it in my mind that it was from Hawaii red face maybe because it sounds like the big Air Force Base called Hickam - I don't know. But what a shocker to look at Eddy's two links! Oh, well.

posted by LateToDinner
0

We can find jicama in a lot of supermarkets in Massachusetts, but the prickly pear...probably not too common.

0

Oh, thank you.

posted by MadderSky