HomeQ&AIs it correct to say "opening position?"

Is it correct to say "opening position?"

2

Dear sirs, Is it correcto to say: I want to apply for the "opening position" in your company ???

Thanks in advance

BM

edited by --Mariana--
posted by bbbmo

4

Hello and welcome to the forum.

You could say:

I would like to apply for the open position in your company.

or

I would like to apply for the position that is open in your company.

Well, I like your better. You get my vote. - 0074b507, JUL 16, 2010
Un puesto de trabajo. - JorgeViento, JUL 16, 2010
1

I would say not. Usually you are applying for the opening or the position. Opening position would only make sense in the context that the position was soon to be vacated, but that is why it is called an opening.

Marianne has the answer: use open position rather than opening position, unless you wish to emphasize whether the person that held the position has already left or will soon leave.

¡Bienvenida al Foro!

Welcome to the Forum.

Opening position also has a context in sports similar to "starter" or "first string".

Yes I agree 'opening position' sounds more like a point at which you might legitametely open a safe or technical gadget - FELIZ77, JUL 16, 2010
0

all wrong!

use "position opening" plz

posted by chenhowhow
? Why are we all wrong, and why should we use position opening? - Nathaniel, JUL 16, 2010
0

When I hear 'opening position' I think of an 'entry level position' or low level position.

So, if you are referring to a position that most people who work for the company started at, then I would say 'entry level position'.

And, of course, welcome to the forum. smile

edited by Nathaniel
posted by Nathaniel
0

Opening position sounds like you know someone is about to be fired or retire (which may be the case). I'd go with " I would like to apply for the vacancy with your company" or "the open position" or the "job vacancy."

posted by DonK