HomeQ&AUnable to access the "More" features because of advertisements

Unable to access the "More" features because of advertisements

3

has anyone else noticed that the 'more' drop-down menu on the upper right is completely unaccessable due to the advertisement banner over the top

very odd coming from a professional company

I emailed tech support a week ago, however never heard a response

regards

-JD

edited by --Mariana--
posted by Jon-Dunn
I don't see that. - Gekkosan, JUL 16, 2010
People with 4K rep points don't get those advertisements. - --Mariana--, JUL 16, 2010

1

Hi Jon.

Unfortunately, we have seen several complaints about this problem. You may want to send a PM to Christopher.

edited by --Mariana--
3

I almost abandoned this site because of those ads. I understand the site has to be funded, totally, I understand. And I also thought they should be less obnoxious.

But the value of the site versus having to deal with the ads won out and I stayed. And I have to admit, I worked harder on getting to the 4000 reps than I did on learning Spanish for a while.

I learned a number of tricks to deal with the ads and to live with the ads; you will learn your own, I am sure. Each page refresh will change the ads you have, so will using the back button. I did bigger screens, smaller screens, relocated ... and kept plugging away.

Shoot for the 4000, it will make a really big difference, in how long it takes a page to load as well as the fewer interruptions.

Tips for the 4K? Start every day selecting at least 10 of the other's answers to vote for. At least ten, but the more the merrier and if you learn something from each of them who is the real winner? Participate in the A-Zs, Picture of the Day, Mysterious Object ... etc.

Don't worry about starting your own games or threads (not to talk you out of it) because most of the time this or that good answer will get almost as many votes and you don't have to do the work of moderating.

Keep in mind you can't spend any of the points or trade badges in but the Spanish you learn may reward you the rest of your life.

I worked hard to get a reputation as a funny guy but I mean all of this.

Sorry about your frustration, this too shall pass.

posted by LateToDinner
So these go away when you get 4000 reps? Thank goodness, because I can't access this, and I really, really want to. Thanks, although I was really really proud that I got to 300 reps since joining 3 weeks ago. This will take forever... - Echoline, JUL 16, 2010
Nice suggestions! :-) - chaparrito, JUL 16, 2010
2

gracias Marianne I am not sure who Christopher is, though we have one in our family & they are usually of a kind ilk

I am using Windows Vista with IE 7 updated weekly

ciao

edited by Jon-Dunn
posted by Jon-Dunn
Intersting... - kerflop, JUL 16, 2010
Para que sepas... Christopher is one of (or the) creator of the website. He's always open to suggestions. :-) - chaparrito, JUL 16, 2010
1

On internet explorer, go to the tool button and try changing the zoom or the print size.

You can also use "ctrl +" or "ctrl -" to change the type size.

This will often put the ads where they were meant to be.

Now that I'm at home and looking at my computer, on IE go to "page" on the tool bar and you'll find "zoom" and "text size", either of which may fix your problem.

edited by john20
posted by john20
1

Not in Fireforx... What browser are you using? Is it up to date, meaning there are any updates for the one your using?

Bob

posted by kerflop
Really? That sounds promising....we have seen many complaints about this. - --Mariana--, JUL 16, 2010
Okay, I was able to recreate the problem using Internet Explorer 6.0... Which, by the way, is not the most current version of that browser. This is my work laptop so I can not update to a newer version, but it would appear to be a problem specific to IE.. - kerflop, JUL 16, 2010
But anyone else using IE test it out, I am curious to see if it specific to the older browsers... Bob - kerflop, JUL 16, 2010