HomeQ&AIs there a colloquial Spanish ?

Is there a colloquial Spanish ?

3

I mean is that Spanish which we study here is the same Spanish that spoken in Spain .

For example I study Persian at the faculty by I study classical Persian then I discoversd that Iranian do not speak this ! Is there the same thing in Spanish?!

posted by Dua_Cairo

3

I guess someone might think we speak ancient Latin in Latin America too. cheese

posted by Mokay
oh no I didn`t mean that . - Dua_Cairo, JUL 17, 2010
3

Overall I agree with Birdland, but I think perhaps we should clarify that there is indeed a highly variable colloquial Spanish that can be fairly different from one region to another.

So while it is true that anyone who learns "standard" Spanish will be understood everywhere Spanish is spoken, it is also a fact that if that same theoretical traveler from South America started speaking rapidly in his or her own brand of local slang, he or she would probably have a hard time communicating.

Then again, the same thing happens if a Cockney Englishperson starts trying to speak in rhyme to someone from deep Louisiana, for example, or someone from Harlem tried "Brotherspeak" with an Ozzy herdsman...

posted by Gekkosan
3

You should be fine with the Spanish you learn here. While there are differences in pronunciation and expressions between regions/countries you should be easily understood.

For example, people who come to Spain from South America have no problems being understood. So the Spanish here is not "Classical" as in your Persian example.

edited by lagartijaverde
posted by lagartijaverde