HomeQ&APorqué sé otros idiomas....

Porqué sé otros idiomas....

4

Please could someone proof read this for me? smile Just don't be too critical of any really stupid mistakes :S...I'm only an intermediate beginner and this took me hours of looking through the reference pages of Spanishdict to create hahaha. Please could you tell me any mistakes and perhaps explain to me what I'm doing wrong? Thank you, Cardiff smile x

English: Because i know other languages, it has helped me a lot to learn a bit of Spanish and your brother has been teaching me as well. I'm 17 years old and i have 3 brothers and a sister. At the moment, I'm at a sixth form college and studying French, German, Maths and Chemistry. Next year, i hope to go to university to study Spanish.

Porqué sé otros idiomas, me ha servido de mucha ayuda a aprender un poco de español y tu hermano ha estado enseñadome . Tengo diecisiete años y tengo tres hermanos y una hermana. De momento, estoy en (6th form college???) y estudio el francés, el alemán, las matemáticas y la química. El año que viene, espero hacer ir a universidad a estudiar el español

and how would i say "tell me a bit about yourself"?

updated AGO 14, 2010
edited by Cardiff1985
posted by Cardiff1985
Cardiff. Please remember proper capitalization, especially the "I," in your posts because we have learners of English here. Thanks! - --Mariana--, JUL 24, 2010
P.s. Great attmept on the translation....it's not easy! - --Mariana--, JUL 24, 2010

4

It is always advisable to include an English translation of what you are trying to say.

Porqué sé otros idiomas

Are you saying:

because I know other languages? If so, there is no accent mark on porque

Are you saying:

The reason why I know other languages:

El porqué...

enseñándome [también]

. El año que viene, espero hacer ir a universidad para estudiar el frances

I studied Spanish back in the Dark Ages the rule was that you did not use the definite article with languages after Hablar, en and de. Newer rules include verbs that are associated with studying languages. I believe estudiar is one of the verbs.

With names of languages: Names of languages require the article except when they immediately follow en or a verb that is often used of languages (particularly saber, aprender, and hablar, and sometimes entender, escribir or estudiar). The article also is required after an adverb or a preposition other than en. Hablo español. (I speak Spanish.) Hablo bien el español. (I speak Spanish well.) Prefiero el inglés. (I prefer English.) Aprendemos inglés. (We are learning English.)

Dime un poco de ti mismo.

Dígame un poco de sí mismo.

Not a native. Wait for confirmation.

updated AGO 14, 2010
okay sorry :) i'll just add it - Cardiff1985, JUL 15, 2010
2

I will just point out what I see with your paragraph in English.

I'm a little lost as to the purpose of this paragraph. Are you sending an e-mail to someone, or just free-writing for practice? If you are sending an e-mail, starting the whole thing out with "Because" isn't the best idea. Using words like "And, but, or because" to start sentences can form sentence fragments that would be ungrammatical. The way you used it though, you did utilize the cause-and-effect necessity of the word "because". Although it works, I believe a more coherent phrasing would do wonders for your intro. You crammed a lot of ideas into that first sentence using "because" and "and" so I will just suggest a way to spread it out a little bit.

While I was studying Spanish, my knowledge of other languages came in handy. Your brother was a big help too, he spent some of his time teaching me. I have three brothers and a sister.

[I added that little appreciative note, because if you are e-mailing someone and if they know you or not, that's a little something they will be happy to hear. I also moved your family relations to the first paragraph since you mentioned someone else's brother. To continue I would go to a new paragraph because you begin introducing and describing yourself, which has nothing to do with your previous paragraph. (quick note is that I don't know if "six form college" is the name or a type so that may change how it's phrased)]

I am a 17-year-old attending six form college and I'm enrolled in French, German, Math and Chemistry. Next year, I hope to go to a university and study Spanish.

So the main thing I would tell you is to acknowledge your audience as you write. Accommodate whoever it is that will be reading this and make them smile and keep them interested. Remember to capitalize the letter i when you refer to yourself as I am now. Finally, Math isn't plural, so no "s" at the end. Hope you take the time to read this and more importantly, I hope that it helps. Feel free to message me if anything was unclear, or if you have more questions.

updated AGO 15, 2010
posted by Neofefnir
Hey - just a quick note to say in the UK it is 'sixth form' not 'six form' and we do say 'maths' and not 'math'. But I am voting because you took the time to write a helpful answer! :) - kirstenalexander, AGO 14, 2010
Okay, thanks for reading it and giving me feedback so I know in the future. I didn't know that. - Neofefnir, AGO 14, 2010
0

Saber otras idiomas me ha ayudado aprender español . Tu hermano viene esenañdome tambien. Tengo diez y siete años y tengo tres hermanos y una hermana De memento estoy en un unverisdad communtaria estudiando frances, aleman, quimica y matematicas El año que viene espero ir a la universidad para estudiar español.

Venir+ geruend is the subsitute for the English continuous tense It sounds a lot some smmoother than haber estado.

I got rid of the because since it did not sound right and it instead said knowing In Spanish unless there is separate word for it, the gerunds as noun in English translate as infinitives in Spanish.

updated AGO 14, 2010
posted by BellaMargarita
0

This is what I would have written:

A causa de saber otros idiomas, me ha ayudado mucho aprender el español que mi hermano me enseña. Tengo diecisiete años, y tenos tres hermanos y una sola hermana. De momento, estudio francés, alemán, las matemáticas, y la química en this part is up to you, according to how you figure to translate 6th form. En el año que viene, espero que vaya a la universidad para estudiar español.

I'm also not a native speaker.

posted by hseminati
Oh! And to ask about someone, you could say, "Dígame algo sobre usted." This is FORMAL. - hseminati, JUL 23, 2010