HomeQ&A"This" is what I'm talking about!

"This" is what I'm talking about!

3

Which is correct?

1) Éste es el dibujo de un cilindro.

2) Este es el dibujo de un cilindro.

posted by crockraus

3

2) Este es el dibujo de un cilindro....Correct

posted by 005faa61
Sometimes the accent is used - why not in this case? Is it because "Este" is being identified (un cilindro) later in the sentence? - crockraus, JUL 15, 2010
either is correct - 0074b507, JUL 15, 2010
A better way to say this would be "Esto es ............" - 005faa61, JUL 15, 2010
2

To further clarify:

The reason the accent is used in certain cases is because there are two words that would otherwise be exactly the same, but have two separate meanings.

For example. You say "el libro" meaning "the book" and "él" to mean "he" as well. If "él" had no written accent, you would never know which word you were referring to, the article "the" or the pronoun "he".

This is one of those cases. Previously, the word "este" without the accent was an adjective, meaning "this book" or something. And the word "éste" would be used as you used it in your title "This is...." Now, however, it is becoming acceptable to drop the written accent on demonstrative pronouns (this these that those) because context is so clear, it is almost always easy to tell which one, adjective or pronoun, is being used in any circumstance.

Hoped this cleared things up, not made them more confusing xD

posted by megan5
Could you please give me an example when "Éste" is necessary? - crockraus, JUL 15, 2010
Um... personally, I can't think of one. I'm not very creative or versed enough to have experienced a case where it would be indistinguishable as to which one you meant. Maybe someone else can help. Perhaps you can edit your question to include - megan5, JUL 15, 2010
...a request for an example, like you have here, so that everyone will be able to see it. I'm sure someone here will be able to help you out. - megan5, JUL 15, 2010
1

Previously, it was required to put the written accent when you were referring to something using a pronoun. I'm not sure, but I think I heard now that it is becoming acceptable to not use it.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

edited by megan5
posted by megan5
Yes, either is currently correct; with or without the accent mark unless ambiguity arises. - 0074b507, JUL 15, 2010