HomeQ&APlease help me with some basic questions? Its about something I learned in 1.2

Please help me with some basic questions? Its about something I learned in 1.2

2

¿Cómo es el? I find the translation for this and it said how is it but the teacher in the video said its 'what is he like'? What exactly is the translation for it and how come theres no more translation for single words in video 1.2 ?

Also please translate these for me ¿Cómo es? ¿Cómo eres?

Oh,oh and if yo=i soy=i am then the translation for the sentence yo soy artística will be ' I I am artistic ' How come there is two 'I' ?

So is 'yo soy artística' correct or 'soy artistica' ?

Thank you

posted by KaylaMeow

1

¿Cómo es él? is the question you are referring to. With the accent, él means "he" or "him" so it would translate literally How is he? or, more in keeping with common speaking What is he like?

The translation for "Cómo es" would be the same as above. The translation for "Cómo eres?" is exactly the same except that "eres" is the verb you use with the pronoun "you".

For "yo soy"... In English, many of our verbs sound the same. I sit, you sit, he sits, we sit, they sit. Because each different pronoun has the same verb (in this case, sit), we have to say the pronoun every time, to clarify who is doing the sitting. However in Spanish, because each conjugation, the various forms of verbs you put with pronoun, is different, you get the following for the verb ser = to bee

soy (I am), eres (you are), es (he, she is/ You (formal) are), somos (we are), sois ( you guys are), son (they are)

Since each one of them is different, they don't have to clarify the subject every time they say a verb. You can just say "Soy" and since you know that the only pronoun that will ever go with the verb "soy" is "I" then you don't have to worry about saying "Yo soy".

That being said, when you do say it, often times it is for emphasis. In English, we do this with inflection, the tone of voice we use to say something. Imagine saying "I am!" as if you are trying to convince someone that you are a certain way, and you will get the idea.

As always, I am not native, so someone please correct my mistakes. smile Thanks. And good luck Kayla, keep learning!

edited by megan5
posted by megan5
I like your answer better :) haha - Cardiff1985, JUL 15, 2010
haha... Thanks? You did a good job too! I just specialize in trying to explain things as simply and fully as I can....I practice lol - megan5, JUL 15, 2010
1

I will comment on your questions about yo soy. You get a gold star for understanding why subject pronouns are not used in common writing and conversation.The "yo" is in that construction because they want to give a clear example for teaching purposes.

posted by nizhoni1
1

Hello smile

In the ¿Cómo es el? part of your question, the 'el' needs to be 'él' meaning 'he'. 'el' without the stress on the 'e' is the masculine singular form of 'the', which is why you had a problem with the translation.

¿Cómo es? what are you like? (formal)

¿Cómo eres? what are you like?(informal/familiar)

And referring to your question about "yo soy...", in Spanish it is very common not to use the subject pronoun unless for emphasis or it is not obvious who the subject of the sentence is. So therefore 'yo soy artística' does not mean i i am artistic just i am artistic smile. you could have easily said "soy artística" and it would mean the same thing but "soy artística" is just more common because the subject pronoun is not needed. In Spanish it is easy to tell who the subject of the sentence is because the form of the verb is very different for each of the different subject pronouns

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong smile

posted by Cardiff1985