HomeQ&ATu madre es alta. "Sí, la es" vs. "Sí, lo es"

Tu madre es alta. "Sí, la es" vs. "Sí, lo es"

8

Do they both work here because madre is feminine? Seems like "lo es" means "it/he/she" is regardless of gender. But could gender come into play and use la? Gracias amigos.

edited by --Mariana--
posted by jeezzle
Excellent question, jeezzle! This has been confusing for me as well. - Pajaro44, JUL 15, 2010

9

Lo - Pronombre objeto neutro - Spanish Neuter Direct Object Pronoun

Lo is the Spanish neuter direct object pronoun, used to mean "it" when referring to something non-specific or with no gender, such as an idea, adjective, situation, or clause.

Note that lo is also the masculine direct object pronoun, which refers to something or someone specific.

.

Compare:

Debiera ir a la tienda, pero lo olvidé.

I was supposed to go to the store, but I forgot [to go].

vs

Juan me dio una pluma, pero la olvidé en el autobús.

Juan gave me a pen, but I forgot it [the pen] on the bus.

.

No parece feliz, pero lo es.

She doesn't seem happy, but she is [happy].

vs

La felicidad es muy importante. Búscala todos los días.

Happiness is very important. Seek it [happiness] every day.

.

Como es rico, lo tiene fácil.

Since he's rich, he has it easy.

vs

Me gusta la torta de chocolate. Es fácil hacerla.

I like chocolate cake. It's easy to make it.

posted by Benz
8

Lo es refers to the fact that she is tall. It means "it she is." The fact that she is a woman does not affect the word lo because lo refers to an abstract concept. Another example would be if someone said to me, "Eres americana?" I could say "lo soy." I would not say la soy, even though I am a female. smile

posted by Debiera
But could I say "la es - jeezzle, JUL 14, 2010
to mean she is? - jeezzle, JUL 14, 2010
Yes you explaiend that very clearly What you say ties in with Benz and Guillermo - FELIZ77, JUL 15, 2010
Jeezle from what I now understand from Dpeters the gender of the person is irrelevant lo es refers to the 'fact ' (hecho) she is tall masc not who is tall - FELIZ77, JUL 15, 2010
6

Sí, lo es .... NO other possibility Jeezz wink

posted by Benz
Benz, pleae look at Qfreed's comments. What do you think? - --Mariana--, JUL 15, 2010
"Sí, lo es". Benz is 100% right. "Sí, la es" is wrong. - 00e657d4, JUL 15, 2010
Thank you, Guillermo. Why "lo" and not "la"? - --Mariana--, JUL 15, 2010
Marianne, all issues of both genders or no gender defer to male, ie: TodOs Uds. for both Male and Female. I know, it's blatant sexism, but languages were formed back when women were given little if any notice. Men were swines way back then :-( - 005faa61, JUL 15, 2010
Jajaja - --Mariana--, JUL 15, 2010
5

Thank you, Guillermo. Why "lo" and not "la"? - Marianne-

I don't really know the technicalities, but you always use ""lo" in these cases. It does not matter the gender of the person or the adjective you are referring to.

posted by 00e657d4
Thank you again, Guillermo. - --Mariana--, JUL 15, 2010
4

You would use lo.

Man: Eres una mandona. (You are a bossy woman.)

Woman: No lo soy. (I am not.)

--

Tu madre es alta.

Sí, lo es.

It doesn't matter whether the subject is feminine or not. When saying that someone "is that thing" which you called them, you always use LO. The "lo" refers to "it" that the subject was called and not the subject itself.

edited by NikkiLR
posted by NikkiLR
3

¡Sí, lo es!

I usually think of "lo" as "thing" and not "it".

"Yes, she is that thing that you just mentioned (her "tallness")

"thing" or "tallness" is neither masculine nor feminine.

"Ella es bonita. Sí, lo es"

She is pretty. Yes, she is that!

"That" is neither masculine nor feminine.

"Eres americana?" Si, lo soy."

Are you American (female) ? Yes, I am "what-you-just-said"

Does this make sense?

posted by patch
I've asked her to look at this thread and explain her take on it all. - 0074b507, JUL 15, 2010
I remember that one, Q. I hope someone can find it :) - patch, JUL 15, 2010
3

Wow. This really confuses me.

It's "Sí, lo es" because we are talking about the height and not the woman?

I would think that the woman was the subject and we would say "Sí, LA es (alta)."

Okay, great explanation...I get it! - --Mariana--, JUL 15, 2010
"Ella es bonita. Sí, la es" is not correct Marianne :) - Benz, JUL 15, 2010
Thank you, Benz. What subject does the "lo" stand for? - --Mariana--, JUL 15, 2010
Marianne, in neuter cases, "Lo" refers to "the fact that....." and the action of being. Does this help? - 005faa61, JUL 15, 2010
Great stuff here. I like this discussion. - jeezzle, JUL 15, 2010
Marianne, Heidita, looked at this thread and said that it is lo , not la and she can't remember the other thread about referring to previous adjectives. If I run across, I'll send you a link. Until then forget all my comments. The lo refers to the - 0074b507, JUL 16, 2010
the entire previous sentence "what was said previously" and shows no gender as everyone has expressed here. - 0074b507, JUL 16, 2010
2

After school I will look all through this thread. Lots of great replies so far guys. I appreciate all your help, and I agree with Sanlee. If "la es" never works to refer back to a feminine then there are some parts of Spanish that are still beyond my understanding.

posted by jeezzle
Ah, jeezle, I am totally with you on this. It seems that the more I learn/read about Spanish the more I realize how very little I *do* know and understand! - Pajaro44, JUL 15, 2010
2

I am totally confused. If "Ella es bonita. Sí, la es" is not correct according to Benz and Guillermo, (see comments above) , then I understand even less than I thought about these kind of sentences. I need help.

edited by sanlee
posted by sanlee