HomeQ&AHow do wrong answers get into the flashcards?

How do wrong answers get into the flashcards?

5

I was just doing some flashcards created by members. I scanned the list to see the nature of the words, and noticed that twice it said "Te quiero" for "I hate you" and once said "te quiero" for "I love you". Huhhh??? Sort a big difference between those!! I have not created any flashcard sets of my own yet, but I'm wondering how such blatant and obvious mistakes are allowed to get in there. If I didn't know any better, I could have just assumed that "I hate you" is translated to "Te quiero"!!! I think it's bad for Spanish learners to learn things incorrectly.

posted by amykay
Just think how nice it would be to have your enemies running around yelling "I love you" :) - LateToDinner, JUL 14, 2010
Yeah, in a different world! - amykay, JUL 14, 2010

3

You are right, it is not a good idea to use flashcards created by members who are not well known to be profcient, we have a disclaimer:

NOTE: SpanishDict cannot guarantee the accuracy of user-created flashcards.

Yes I did see that disclaimer. I have found that by and large they are pretty accurate, but as described in that last one, there are some H U G E mistakes! You have to really be on the lookout for them! - amykay, JUL 14, 2010
Even very proficient members can have a typo so the Disclaimer is very important to keep in mind. - LateToDinner, JUL 14, 2010
3

A member can type anything they want into their flashcards. Wrong answers get there by the creator putting them there. There's no way every flashcard can be checked by the site administrators, even if they wanted to. I've created over 70 flashcard sets, averaging 30-40 words per card. I try to be accurate, but I won't guarantee that there isn't a typo or misplaced tilde in there, somewhere. I certainly wouldn't accept someone else's answers without double-checking them.

posted by KevinB
A little typo is ok, but "Te quiero" certainly doesn't mean "I hate you"!!! That one was so obvious I had to say something.... - amykay, JUL 14, 2010
2

I agree! I wish that we could edit wrong translations

Not even I could get the edit function, probably just as well, there are simply too many mistakes.

Not even all of the flashcards attached to the lessons are completely accurate.

This should not happen, if you see anything, please report to Paralee, she is the sole responsible for them.

I've been compiling a list as I've gone along, so I will do. - peregrinamaria, JUL 14, 2010
2

Also, it is very important to run through your flashcard set at least once to see if you have an answer that is the same. The possibility of having two "brazos" to chose from means that even though you are right, you will possibly get one wrong. Many people repeat terms and that is a mistake on the flashcards as is using synonyms with the same meaning. Save that word for another flashcard set. Also if you are doing a animal set, for example , put "the cat" in english to get the right Spanish term as sometimes that is the only way it will work.

edited by sanlee
posted by sanlee
And watch spelling, if it isn't exactly right the word will show in English - sanlee, JUL 14, 2010
Well said! - amykay, JUL 14, 2010
2

Is there any way that we can flag flashcards that have errors?

posted by --Jen--
I agree! I wish that we could edit wrong translations (if your rep is past a certain point of course). We can edit other's posts, I don't see why we couldn't edit incorrect flashcards. - amykay, JUL 14, 2010
In the case of flashcards by a member ... maybe a PM to that member? - LateToDinner, JUL 14, 2010
Yes, I thought of doing that as well...good idea. - amykay, JUL 14, 2010
Almost every set I see has errors. That would be a full-time job. - 008f2974, JUL 14, 2010
Are you voluteering dogbert? :) - amykay, JUL 14, 2010
2

Thank you for raising this question, Amy. Yes, I have noticed that there is a huge range of variation in accuracy across the various sets of flashcards. Not even all of the flashcards attached to the lessons are completely accurate.

I suspect that some people just throw together a set to get the badge and, particularly if they are beginners, they may not realise that errors are present. The bottom line is that we're all human and it is exceedingly difficult to check one's own work with total detachment; I have edited enough articles etc to be very aware of this.

I have considered dropping a PM to anyone whom I have gathered as having a reasonable level of Spanish if I spot an error in one of his or her sets but have been reluctant to do so for fear of giving offence. However, personally speaking, I would greatly appreciate anyone else pointing out such errors to me for correction.

As you say, it's not so bad when the user already has enough Spanish to discount the errors; however, it could be a real problem for beginners who wish to increase their vocabulary. It would be very useful if there were a mechanism in place to differentiate between those sets that have been double-checked and found to be perfect and those where caution is necessary.

Perhaps it might be possible to agree some sort of informal buddy system where members might double-check each other's flashcards?

posted by peregrinamaria
Yes I think a buddy system for double-checking, or something along those lines, would be very helpful. - amykay, JUL 14, 2010