HomeQ&AMust I remember the spelling of the word?

Must I remember the spelling of the word?

2

Must I? And also any tips of helping me because I'm total stranger to Spanish. Nobody in my place speaks this. I think I don't even know what alphabet is there in the Spanish language

edited by 00494d19
posted by KaylaMeow
WElcome to the forum:) - 00494d19, JUL 14, 2010
Thank you :D - KaylaMeow, JUL 15, 2010

1

If you want to read or write Spanish, then yes.

If you only want to speak and understand spoken Spanish, maybe not.

I'm not sure how much you could learn without some reading or writing, but its possible. However you would be missing out on an enormous part of the Spanish language.

edited by fontanero
posted by fontanero
1

Hi

Spelling in Spanish is not the big problem that it is in English.

Generally if you can "hear" a word then you can spell it and if you can spell it you can say it. (pronounce it)

This is because Spanish is a very phonetic language whereas English is not.

edited by ian-hill
posted by ian-hill
1

Well you have to remember them in English, so, yeah. As you probably know, a small spelling error in English can make it mean something different. Same in Spanish. And for the most part the Spanish alphabet is exactly the same as the English one, with the exception of ñ, ch, and ll being letters. Technically, ch and ll aren't even treated as separate letters in Spanish dictionaries anymore.

posted by socceryo3
0

Hello Kayla.

I read your profile, and I think that any reason is a good reason to learn something new, even (or specially) a new language.

You do not say what your native language is. I suspect that it is not English. In any event, you seem to be doing OK with English, and that's one great start, because at least the alphabet is the same, as Soccer indicated.

If you really want to learn, then this is a good place, and you will learn about all the letters, and accents and grammar. But it helps if you really want to make an effort, and are able to show that you are trying to your best.

Welcome!

posted by Gekkosan
Yeah I'm a Chinese and I learned both Chinese and English since young - KaylaMeow, JUL 15, 2010
0

Well, I believe that remembering the spelling is the only way that you will be able to say that you have learned the language. For example, if you spelled things incorrectly in your own language, people would probably not think highly of you. And also, if you want everyone to be able to understand you, you must learn the standard Spanish spelling. That does not mean that you should ignore the other parts of learning the language such as grammar, reading, listening, and speaking. All of these are necessary to be fluent in another language.

posted by Debiera