HomeQ&A"Quizas" is valid? Not according to ...

"Quizas" is valid? Not according to ...

5

the RAE. I saw this word in a thread, spelled without the accent, quizas. I learned it as quizás and/or quizá, so I checked it with the dictionary here on Span¡shD!ct and lo and behold, quizas is said to be correct. However, according to the RAE, quizas without the accent won't fly. So, are both forms (spelling) acceptable, quizas and quizás ?

posted by Jack-OBrien
Which browser do you use.? - viajero, JUL 12, 2010
Firefox - Jack-OBrien, JUL 12, 2010
That explains, Why I was unable to type rae in captilal letters and you could. - viajero, JUL 12, 2010

5

Hola,

Yo jamás lo he visto sin la tilde. Dudo que sea aceptable.

posted by LuisaGomezBartle
Yo tampoco, hasta ayer. - Jack-OBrien, JUL 12, 2010
Is this the first time that you have seen an error in our dictionary? Paralee has dominion over dictionary error fixes according to Heidita. - 0074b507, JUL 13, 2010
No. I've seen a few others, but I've never reported them. - Jack-OBrien, JUL 13, 2010
3

Thanks for the PM, Quentin. Quizás is now corrected to the accented form. This word most certainly always has a tilde over the A.

updated AGO 6, 2010
posted by Paralee
Thank you! - Jack-OBrien, JUL 13, 2010
3

I'll send a link to Paralee on this discussion and another error that we had earlier. Just letting you know so she doesn't get two dozen PM's.

Hopefully, she responds and corrects the error. - --Mariana--, JUL 13, 2010
2

The accented variant is correct. There are other words ending in as such as más that should carry an accent over the A as well, but they are being accepted without accents, even though it is techically incorrect.

This is similar to the degredation of the English language, but on a much smaller scale.

edited by 005faa61
posted by 005faa61
1

According to the RAE dictionary:

La palabra quizas no está registrada en el Diccionario. Las que se muestran a continuación tienen una escritura cercana.

* quizás
posted by Benz
That's what "won't fly" means :~) - Jack-OBrien, JUL 12, 2010