HomeQ&AWhy do we pronounce the G letter in Gustar??

Why do we pronounce the G letter in Gustar??

4

as i learned in spanish ,that you don't pronounce the J nor the G ,so why it's pronounced it Verb Gustar?? thanks alot

edited by 00494d19
posted by sasoxx
You know what Sas, I believe you just mixed it up - it is the "H" that is not pronounced! Have fun on here you will learn a lot. - margaretbl, JUL 12, 2010

6

Well, I'm sorry to tell you Soxx, but you learned wrong!

Pronunciation of G:

1. When G is followed by E or I, you pronounce it like soft H (gente, gitano)

2. When G is followed by A, O or U, you pronounce it like a hard G in "girl" (gato, gusto, goma).

3. GUE and GUI - you don't pronounce the U (it's silent) and the G sounds hard like in "girl" (guerra, guitarra)

Here’s a link to an article in the Reference section on how to pronounce Spanish letters.

thanks alot!! and thanks for illustrating that!! i appreciate it :D.. - sasoxx, JUL 12, 2010
Thats how I learn how to do it... Very nicely done Marianne. - kerflop, JUL 12, 2010
2

I had the same question because my husband speaks Spanish and before I really started learning he had me read a book to him to work on my pronunciation and I couldn't figure that out. Thanks for posting!

posted by emmamorgan
Welcoem to the forum:) - 00494d19, JUL 12, 2010
0

When G is followed by E or I, you pronounce it like soft H (gente, gitano)

I don't much care for the expression "soft 'h'". It would be more accurate to say that it pronounced just like the jota ('j') of Spanish. Depending on the region the pronunciation of jota can be quite strong (nothing like the 'h' [nor any other letter] of English [excepting the 'ch' combination in parts of Scotland]).

Personally, I use (and prefer) a very guttural jota and consider the pronunciation of jota in much of Latin America to be "wimpy". (falta de co*ones).

posted by samdie
Jajaja....I love it! - --Mariana--, JUL 12, 2010
0

Hmmmm, where did you learn thatconfused

Both letters are pronounced so I don¡t really know.

Welcome to the forumgrin

thanks :D - sasoxx, JUL 12, 2010