HomeQ&ADoes "levanta compania" mean anything...used in place of good-bye

Does "levanta compania" mean anything...used in place of good-bye

2

Many years ago someone I knew from Puerto Rico, used to say "levanta compania" or something close to it, in place of good-bye. I never questioned it's meaning and they have since passed. Any idea if that's slang. I always thought it meant something like god go with you, or keep you company, but I don't think it translates to that. Could it be a slang term of sorts?

posted by usmcms
Very interesting. Picks brain. - hombredehielo, JUL 12, 2010

2

Could it have been 'levanta el campamento'? That's like saying 'strike the camp' or something like that - meaning kind of 'fold the tents we're out of here'? I like that - I think it's kind of nice...

posted by margaretbl
Even if it turns out to be incorrect, it was a nice guess. - 0074b507, JUL 12, 2010
thx, it was making me think of that poem 'folds their tents like the arabs...' - margaretbl, JUL 12, 2010
You''re translation is right, they probably just left out the "el" and shortened it because it is a very common phrase. - hombredehielo, JUL 12, 2010
0

No it doesn't mean anything in place of goodbye .

posted by kand2