HomeQ&ABanning Discussions

Banning Discussions

14

A couple of days ago a popular member was banned. It would appear that after the banning, postings were made, basically questioning the decision. I must advise members that rule 3, copied below, does not permit discussions of a banning on the open forum, ie “in public”. As you all know, Heidita and I are responsible for the moderation of the forum. We do not ban members lightly nor do we ban for no reason. In my opinion this banning was totally warranted and the moderators acted in accordance with the rules. I would advise against jumping to the defense of a member by questioning the banning on the open forum as this could result in further bannings because of the violation of rule 3.

Rule 3. This Forum is Moderated

Administrators, many of which are non-paid members of SpanishDict, strive to make the Forum an agreeable and fun site so that the other users can enjoy it in comfort. They have the power to take action against any rule violation. Initially, the administrator will warn the offender and if the warning goes unheeded, then he/she will delete the member from the site. Administrators under the terms of this agreement can be revoked at any time. Administrator decisions as deletion of threads or posts, the banning of certain members etc. shall not be discussed in public. Please contact any administrator by PM.

edited by Eddy
Moderating a forum is often like herding cats....it's hard as heck and the cats don't appreciate it. I, for one, want to thank the Administrators for the time they put into this site and we should all remember that many of them volunteer to do this. - Echoline, JUL 10, 2010
Cats being a euphemism for the version I'm familiar with! - LateToDinner, JUL 11, 2010

5

Via 2 marriages I was in close contact with 2 communist regimes.

Rule one was

"Don't expect to know why decisions are made - just follow and accept them"

Groups of more than a few people were also banned as was public discussion.

The authorities not only listened in on private conversations they recorded every one of them (in Romania) in the "interests of the state" = status quo.

Sorry but I will never be able to accept that.

I am not asking (and no one else is either) to know the reasons for all decisions.

I am really sorry to be writing this - I hope whoever reads it will realize that.

I have praised the moderators in the past.

And I don't like veiled threats.

And no I am not trying to cause trouble.

And yes I know I am free to leave.

PS the fact that the moderators are un-paid has nothing to do with this situation and is not the decision of its members either. This is now a commercial site.

edited by ian-hill
posted by ian-hill
The rules were written and implemented by the administrators and have been on this site for three years, maybe you should have read them? Even once? If you cannot accpet these rules, then it is up to you to make a decission - 00494d19, JUL 11, 2010
5

Thank you, Eddy for posting this.

You said:

We do not ban members lightly nor do we ban for no reason.

I believe that's true.

I think this is a matter of trusting that the Administrators exercise their discretion for the benefit of the entire forum and that they don't act arbitrarily or without good cause.

thank you marianne - 00494d19, JUL 10, 2010
In agreement with Marianne. - Nise, JUL 10, 2010
Well said. I agree. - Goyo, JUL 10, 2010
I agree too :) - Benz, JUL 10, 2010
I am in agreement , it would not have been an easy decision,and done with compassion. - ray76, JUL 11, 2010
5

I am in complete agreement with you Eddy. The site is the best Spanish Language site on the web. There is a reason for that. The people like yourself and Heidita, and all the others,who give so much of their time and knowledge to keep up the high standards the site provides. Keep up the good work, and if I didn't thank you before...

edited by 002262dd
posted by 002262dd
thank you , joe:) - 00494d19, JUL 10, 2010
Nice post Joe!! - Benz, JUL 10, 2010
4

SpanDict is not a fraternity, nor a public entity. It is a privately run web site. They set the rules. If somebody doesn't like those rules, that person is free to leave and seek another site. The declared focus is to learn Spanish/English, not philosophy, socialism, or esoteric values, Spanish or English. The moderators have sucessfully found a way to continue that clear purpose. In exchange for access to this awesome site I freely acknowledge submission to their standards and rules.Finally,When I was young, I remember my parents using a common refrain to get me focused. "Son while your in our house you will live by our rules, if not,start saving rent money! The same rational applies to SpanDict.com

posted by 002262dd
ajajaja it's a popular saying Joe!! - Benz, JUL 10, 2010
3

What can I say about what Heidi and Eddy have done for us? Thanks for all your good helps. You have devote a great deal of time to improve our learning Spanish.

posted by Fidalgo
3

I would advise against jumping to the defense of a member by questioning the banning on the open forum as this could result in further bannings because of the violation of rule 3.

I think this is excellent advice. In Heidita and Eddy, we have moderators we can trust. Often, more goes on behind the scenes than others know. Knowing how unpopular this decision could be among some members just goes to show that we have fair but brave administrators.

If there are ever questions or doubts, it is best to PM rather than talk in the open forum or worse gossip with other members about this.

Thank you for this Eddy and Heidi. smile

posted by Nicole-B
Absolutamente de acuerdo!! Always PM and never betray!!!! - Benz, JUL 10, 2010
3

There is a reason SD runs so well and it's because of the admin! It works because of it's members. We are a team but the admin keep the order along with the very dedicated members that believe in the sites vision. Thank you-all for the unbelievable unselfish work you do, especially the night-vampire named Heidita! wink

posted by Jason7R
3

Las reglas son las reglas, y deben ser cumplidas... without question!! y al que no le guste que se baje de este barco, porque seguro habrá otro que le apetezca a sus fines.

.

Es muy importante esta aclaración Eddy, porque a simple vista parecería que Heidita ha tomado decisiones por su propia cuenta sin consultarle a nadie... y de acuerdo a tus palabras no es así. Gracias por todos los esfuerzos para que este sitio funcione!!

.

edited by Benz
posted by Benz
Bien dicho - Jason7R, JUL 10, 2010
Thank you LateToDinner. I'll correct it right away!! :) - Benz, JUL 10, 2010
Tiene toda la razón Benz! - 002262dd, JUL 10, 2010
2

Well,l I am clueless as to what is going on - sitting here in the middle of the woods with dial-up service and a computer that crashes every 5 minutes (in fact, this is my fourth attempt at a post!)...

However, I will say that Heidita and Eddy know what they are doing. There are lots of things that administrators deal with that are not posted on the forum...things like offensive PM's, for example.

Whoever was banned undoubtedly had plenty of warning that a specific behavior or type of post (or whatever) is not acceptable.

I appreciate Ian Hill's comments about communist regimes, but the analogy doesn't carry over to Spanishdict. Sorry, Ian Hill, I really understand your communist regime concerns, since I also have memories of living in a police state (or two) in my past, but the analogy doesn't hold here.

Thanks, Heidita and Eddy, for making Spanishdict a fun website. And thanks to all the posters who bring excellent viewpoints to the site.

Since my computer seems to be not crashing, I am excited about maybe getting this posted!!!!

posted by mountaingirl123
Hi mountaingirl - glad you were able to read what I wrote. I don't envy your "dial-up" situation. - ian-hill, JUL 10, 2010
And to think, I was complaining about the ads slowing me down ... my sympathies, MG! - LateToDinner, JUL 11, 2010
2

I have not been here as much lately that I have no idea about the incident being referred to above. However, I believe that SD was set up for a purpose and for SD to function according to its mission, leadership by its administrators is essential. If I were to stay in SD, I must accept the policies and decisions of the administrators. I must see the administrators as simply performing their functions and should separate their persons from their functions. So I don't see myself getting into a personal fight with any of them. If at all I end up in conflict with any of the administrators, and I hope that never happens, I should consider first that perhaps I was the one who crossed the line of propriety. If I am truly convinced that I was misjudged, then the PM would be my only venue for any attempt to present arguments for my case. If after that I am still not happy with the results, then I should just leave SD in silence and find my happiness elsewhere. Anyway, it was my decision to join SD and I am not compelled at all to stay so I have no right to force my existence here.

As for the Forum, I consider it as the "holy ground" where only learning and some (or lots of) fun should take place. It should never be used as an arena where "blood and guts" are spilled or scattered.

So, I have no problem with this recent issue.

Yes, I have to admit that I am taking the side of the administrators here even if I have no idea what happened. However, I must trust the administrators in their decisions or else it's like I have no trust in SD and I am only here to make my life miserable. No way! grin

I hope no one thinks that I am trying to ingratiate myself with the administrators with this. I would want nothing more than be treated like any ordinary member (except with the "no congratulations" classification smile).

I am only trying to express what may be expected from me as an SD member as I believe this thread is the administrators' way of telling me what I should expect from them.

Thank you.

posted by Rikko
This is exactly what I think Rikko!!! Una vez más, estamos de acuerdo!!! :) - Benz, JUL 10, 2010
2

The warning and banning is one part of the Admin/Moderator job I do not envy at all. You guys do a superb job and SpanishDict is one of the richest sites on the internet as a result of your efforts. Thanks for all you do.

posted by Lrtward
I don't envy it either!!! :) - Benz, JUL 10, 2010
2

Lagniappe - that little something extra that adds spice to your life

That's what SD has been for me. wink

posted by Delores--Lindsey
Thank you for all your hard work. Gracias por todo su trabajo. - Delores--Lindsey, JUL 10, 2010
1

Although I agree that we must have rules of engagement and that if we cannot accept these rules then we have no right to participate further ,and are free to leave.

But please do not forget that we owe ourselves and all sentient beings feelings

of Loving kindness and Compassion. I thank those who made this decision ,one

which I would not have wanted to make ,I send them my L&K , and also to the

person who has left us , we have no right to judge nor to condemn , but wish them

to be well and happy, and may they be free from suffering. This has been a happy

caring place to learn and to enjoy friendship , may it continue to be so.

Good Health and Good Happy to all.

posted by ray76
Here, here! - LateToDinner, JUL 11, 2010
1

Thanks for the reminder. Sometimes we get excited and a rule slips our minds. We love our administrators.

edited by billy-jones
posted by billy-jones
1

Human nature I guess but I do find myself wondering - "Why?".

Now if someone is banned it must be because of the breaking of a code or rule - right?

Perhaps the particular code or rule which was broken could be nominated just so the rest of us are not left wondering about the "indiscretion".

And perhaps a period of "suspension" could be considered? Depending on the rule or code broken? You know, perhaps 12 months for a serious violation. Three months or one month for a lesser transgression.

The period of suspension could be decided by perhaps a group of three "ordinary" members. The "peers" of the transgressor.

I do understand there has to be tight rules - I've no problem with that. Just food for thought.

posted by nonombre