HomeQ&AHow can I strike-out letters in a word?

How can I strike-out letters in a word?

3

In a recent posting, it was suggested that we leave incorrect answers/words in place but strike-through the letters/words to show that they are incorrect and then add the correction. This way everyone looking at the answer will be able to learn from the incorrect response as well as the correction made.

I think that's a great idea!

My question is: How do we do this? That is how do we use a strike-through function?

I have searched everywhere I can think of on this Web site and can't seem to find out how to do this.

Thanks to all of the wonderful people here who may have an answer to this!

posted by Pajaro44
Is it okay if I guess? - LateToDinner, JUL 11, 2010
Great question, P. A lot of beneficial stuff has come up thanks to Luisa's frustration! - LateToDinner, JUL 11, 2010
Yes, LateToDinner, be my guest and guess all you want! - Pajaro44, JUL 11, 2010

3

You can strike them out by using the <strike> and </strike> markup. Just place the desired text in between these opening and closing tags and it will strike out the desired text. For example, the following markup

I am going to strikeout <strike> ths txt </strike> this text

would have the following effect:

I am going to strikeout ths txt this text

If you are interested, I think that an alternate method may have been discussed on this thread: How to make your posts more colorful

posted by Izanoni1
Thank you, Iza. It looks like it worked for you. I'm going to try it on one of my answers that I want to correct. - Pajaro44, JUL 10, 2010
Yes, it worked for me to use the tags to edit one of my answers! - Pajaro44, JUL 10, 2010
Could the strike tag be placed in the reference article to replace the del tag that no longer works? - Pajaro44, JUL 10, 2010
I don't know about a reference article, but I edited my post on "how to make your posts more colorful" to reflect this change - Izanoni1, JUL 10, 2010
Yes, thank you. That's what I meant! - Pajaro44, JUL 10, 2010
And I thank you, too - LateToDinner, JUL 11, 2010
3

I am just testing to see if the <del> tag still works

this is a test of the <del> tag

this is a test of the <strike> tag

this is a test of the <s> tag

It looks like the <del> tag is no longer supported, but you can still get the strikeout effect by using the <strike> tag or the <s> tag.

edited by Izanoni1
posted by Izanoni1
Thank you again, Izanoni! - Pajaro44, JUL 10, 2010
1

Hi Judith.

I think that you just type

< del >

in front of the text and

< / del >

after the text

So that it looks like this

This Text Will be Strikethrough

when you put it all together

edited by --Mariana--
Hmm...didn't work and my codes were deleted. Let's wait for Quentin or Izanoni to help us. - --Mariana--, JUL 10, 2010
well, that is not it....but it is in the reference I think+ - 00494d19, JUL 10, 2010
Thanks for your effort, Marianne. I think Iza has the answer! - Pajaro44, JUL 10, 2010
When I wrote that post (nearly a year ago) the site supported the < del > tags, but it looks like since that time, this tag is no longer supported..... - Izanoni1, JUL 10, 2010
You can still get the same effect, however, by using the < strike > tag :) - Izanoni1, JUL 10, 2010
the < s > tag also appears to work :) - Izanoni1, JUL 10, 2010
1

I don't know what changed to allow the < s/strike > over the < del > tag. I was under the impression that the strike through tags were the older tags and had been disused. Whatever version of X H T M L they are now using, the < s > tag is what our editor currently recognizes.

Has anyone ever noticed the use of the * before an example sentence in Spanish books to refer to an incorrect example? I have seen it in a few grammar articles and more recently in an actual grammar book.

When one wishes to to show how to phrase something and how not to, they put a * before the incorrect phrasing.

Le dio el libro a él. * Dio el libro a él.

Since this usage wasn't explained in any of the articles or in the grammar book, I was wondering if this was routinely used and understood in Spanish grammar. Could a native confirm this usage to me? It might be more useful than using the strike though as it leaves the error easier to read for analysis. Of course, it's only useful if the reader recognizes its significance.

1

Since this usage wasn't explained in any of the articles or in the grammar book, I was wondering if this was routinely used and understood in Spanish grammar.

Hi Quentin. This is actually a very common practice in generative grammar and I believe is used in both Spanish and English. You will also find sentences with a question mark placed before them to indicate that the sentence may or may not be possible depending on some factor that is being discussed.

From Syntax: A Generative Introduction

As is standard in the syntactic literature, a sentence that isn't well-formed is marked with an asterisk ( * ) before it.

edited by Izanoni1
posted by Izanoni1
Muchas gracias. - 0074b507, JUL 10, 2010
1

To Add Color

1). Copy the following markup

< a style = "color:blue;">Text Goes Here

Text Goes Here

2). Insert your desired text in the space that reads "text goes here"

3). If you want to use a different color, all of the primary colors will work in place of "blue."

Strikethrough

1). Insert the "strike" opening and closing tags around the desired text

This Text Will be Strikethrough

This Text Will be Struckthrough

Font Size

1). Use the following code to make the font size a percentage of the original font

< a style = "font-size:200%;">Double Sized

Double Sized

I got these directions from the Reference-Tech Supoort, but it's still not working. - --Mariana--, JUL 10, 2010
Believe it or not, but it wasn't working because you indented the code line past 4 spaces.. - 0074b507, JUL 10, 2010