HomeQ&ASpeaking Spanish at Mexican Restaurant

Speaking Spanish at Mexican Restaurant

5

What would be the best way to go about asking the waiter at a Mexican restaurant to speak with them in Spanish? I don't really have anyone to practice with, so I thought that would be a good opportunity.

Could I say "¿Me permite hablar en español consigo?" or "Puedo hablar español consigo?"

edited by 00494d19
posted by bradytr
You could also say: "¿Podría hablar español con usted?". = "**Could** I speak Spanish with you?". - Pajaro44, JUL 10, 2010

4

HI rose, very good idea, even though I guess they dont have much time, but anyway, good for you to try! wink

consigo...that is not correct: con usted would be the most common.

Both sentences are correct with this ending, way to to rosewink

Whoops! Thank you. Is "consigo" only used for "with him/her"? - bradytr, JUL 10, 2010
Wow! I think I was using consigo and con usted in a random fashion...till now. Never thought about it really. - webdunce, JUL 10, 2010
consigo is different than conmigo or contigo It is only reflexive. With yourself, himself, herself, itself. Conmigo=con mí, contigo= con tí Conmigo mismo=with myself Contigo mismo=with yourself - 0074b507, JUL 10, 2010
Oh! Thank you qfreed. So, to say "with him/her" you'd just say "con él/ella"? - bradytr, JUL 10, 2010
5

I used to do this all the time. I would go out to eat alone to Mexican restaurants and always take a book that I was studying with me or maybe a book of bilingual stories to read while waiting for my food. The waiter would usually ask if I was learning Spanish. Usually they would be more than happy to answer at least one or two questions on how to pronounce something and try to talk to me a little bit. I'd always leave a good tip. I became a regular at a couple of places and they would help me all the time and ask me about how to say things in English. Just be very conscious of the fact that they are working and can't always pay attention to you. It helps to go at an off hour like 2 or 3 o'clock when they aren't as busy.

posted by alba3
Thanks. I was just hoping to order my food in Spanish and stuff like that. I don't really want them to pay extra attention to me anyway because I'm pretty shy. :) - bradytr, JUL 10, 2010
Don't be shy ;) It's much more fun to actually try to chat w/someone than to just order food. - alba3, JUL 10, 2010
3

Wow! I think I was using consigo and con usted in a random fashion...till now. Never thought about it really.

Consigo is different than either conmigo or contigo.

It is only used reflexively. With yourself (formal), with himself, with herself, or with itself.

Conmigo=*con mí or with me,

contigo= *con ti, or with you (familiar)

Conmigo mismo=with myself

Contigo mismo=with yourself (familiar)

con él, ella, ello, usted for with him, her, it, you (formal)

1

Hola Rose, There is a Spanish/Mexican style resturant in my neighboring town which I frequently visit. The waiters there could speak good English and Spanish both. And if you happen to go to one where they speak Spanish only, don't worry, just try your best, and there is a good chance they'll understand you. If they don't, just point to whatever it is you want to order on the menu. grin Oh, and by the way... if you didn't want to speak Spanish anyway, then ask the waiter/waitress "¿Habla usted inglés?"

edited by eric_collins
posted by eric_collins
¿Habla(usted) inglés? - Mokay, JUL 10, 2010
Oh my bad. I'll fix that right away. - eric_collins, JUL 10, 2010
0

Thank you all for your suggestions, corrections, and thoughts. Just so you all know, my name is actually Brady, not Rose. smile

(My username is just one they assigned me for the computers at school and just thought I'd use that.) I guess I should have made it better. lol

posted by bradytr
I changed my username now, so we don't have to worry about it :) - bradytr, JUL 12, 2010
0

I was planning to try this next time I go to a Mexican resturant grin

posted by Snowleopard