HomeQ&ALa Palabra del Día : pretender

La Palabra del Día : pretender

9

**pretender - to pretend; to try, to aspire; to claim, to apply for, to court **

Post your sentences in Spanish and English, then vote for the ones you like. The best answer will be chosen tomorrow on the basis of the greatest number of votes and language correctness.

.

And don't forget to correct your posts as suggested. Do N O T ever use subject pronouns!

Pretende ser medico en el futuro

She aspires to be a doctor in the future.

edited by Vaanz
posted by Vaanz
vaanz, seperate the words, good sentence - 00494d19, JUL 10, 2010
we could be politically correct and say doctorA....but this is ok - 00494d19, JUL 10, 2010
in Spain, medico - 00494d19, JUL 10, 2010
Looks like she will have the requisite bed side manner. - 0074b507, JUL 10, 2010

9

¿Qué pretendes decir? - What do you mean? alt text

posted by Kiwi-Girl
Estupendo. - ray76, JUL 10, 2010
great - 00494d19, JUL 10, 2010
Gracias :) - Kiwi-Girl, JUL 10, 2010
7

In the divorce, the wife claims the vacation house and car. The husband can keep his dog.

En el divorcio, la esposa pretende la casa de vacaciones y el auto. El esposo puede quedarse con su perro.

Was that a good swap do you think ? At least this dog is cheaper to keep and has lovely eyes. - ray76, JUL 10, 2010
Who could resist that cute dog? - Brynleigh, JUL 10, 2010
Good example Marianne! Ella quiere conseguir o pretende... realmente lo merece? :) - Benz, JUL 10, 2010
5

Odd. No one seems to be reading the numerous comments saying that pretender does not have the context of pretend in English when it means faking or falsely representing something. I thought that the purpose of these exercises was to present example sentences of the contexts in which the words are used. This thread seems to be failing miserably at that. I can not say that it is the fault of the author of the thread for not moderating the topic, since the explanation is being offered over and over again.

Could I suggest using the flag for inaccuracy as this is exactly the situation that it is intended for. So that one person doesn't teach 100 others an incorrect usage.

Ver conjugación pretender.

(Del lat. praetend?re).

1. tr. Querer ser o conseguir algo.

2. tr. Hacer diligencias para conseguir algo.

3. tr. Dicho de una persona: Cortejar a otra.

Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados

There is no context of fingir or simular mentioned here.

What is more disturbing is that these incorrect replies are getting voted up. It points out a complete failure of that system for preventing incorrect answers.

Good point. I just trusted that the definition supplied on the "Word of the Day" question was accurate. I didn't know that the definition wasn't correct and I didn't check the definition of "pretender" in my dictionary. - Pajaro44, JUL 11, 2010
The word of the day in not incorrect. It does mean pretend. In English pretend has several different meanings. The one that means fake does not apply to pretender, (or so I thought). sanlee found a dictionary that says it does. I think that it is - 0074b507, JUL 11, 2010
wrong, but I'd bow to the knowledge of the natives that use the word. - 0074b507, JUL 11, 2010
read this article: http://spanish.about.com/od/wordsweshare/p/pretend.htm - 0074b507, JUL 11, 2010
5

¿Pretendes volverme loca?

Do you mean to drive me crazy?/Are you trying to drive me crazy?

edited by 003487d6
I like this one :) - Kiwi-Girl, JUL 11, 2010
5

Alexandro pretendió a la hija de mi tio.

Alexander courted my uncle's daughter.

edited by Kiwi-Girl
posted by Kiwi-Girl
Excellent example! - Benz, JUL 10, 2010
Thanx Benz :) - Kiwi-Girl, JUL 10, 2010
Wouldn't that be his prima. That's incest in some places. - 0074b507, JUL 11, 2010
It says "my" uncle, not his. - fontanero, JUL 12, 2010
5

Por un momento, vamos a pretender que no hay guerra.

For a moment, let us pretend there is no war.

posted by Jsanthara
Beautiful :) - Brynleigh, JUL 10, 2010
Can you use 'pretender in this way? I thought it was a bit of a false friend in that regard. It might be better to use fingir or simular. - Kiwi-Girl, JUL 10, 2010
or imaginar :) - Kiwi-Girl, JUL 10, 2010
No Maria-Claire. It's anice example but a native would say.... vamos a hacer de cuenta que no existen... :) - Benz, JUL 12, 2010
5

Be very careful with this verb. Sometimes it means "finjir" or "disimular" and in Spanish these verbs work better than "pretender". I guess it's a question of collocations wink

.

pretender verbo transitivo: ¿qué pretendes con esa actitud? what do you hope to gain with that attitude?;

pretendía entrar sin pagar he was trying to get in without paying;

no pretendo saberlo todo I don't claim to know everything;

lo único que pretendía era ayudar I was only trying to help;

¿pretendes que te crea? do you expect me to believe you?

.

Diccionario Espasa concise inglés-español © 2000 Espasa Calpe:

pretender verbo transitivo

1 (aspirar, intentar) to expect, try to: pretendía que le diera la razón, he was trying to make me agree with him pretende ser actriz, she hopes to become an actress

2 (simular) to try: pretendió no habernos visto, he pretended he hadn't seen us

3 frml (cortejar) to woo, court

posted by Benz
5

¿Que pretende usted de mi? What do you want of me?

posted by 002262dd
jajajaja I like this one!! - Benz, JUL 10, 2010
5

No puedo creer que pretendiera enamorarse de mi simplemente por mi dinero.

I can't believe she pretended to fall in love with me simply for my money.

posted by pescador1
4

No pretiendo saber todas las respuestas. ( saber / sé ? )

I don't pretend to know all the answers.

I need some help with this, particularly conjugations.

Also, if I remove the word no, does it become " I aspire to know all the answers" ?

edited by fontanero
posted by fontanero
Todas - 192flat, JUL 10, 2010
No pretendo saber todas las respuestas... good example! :) - Benz, JUL 10, 2010
Don't I need es or esta? - fontanero, JUL 10, 2010
No, otherwise it would say, I don't pretend 'is' to know all the answers :) - Kiwi-Girl, JUL 11, 2010
Thank you Benz and Maria. - fontanero, JUL 11, 2010
4

¡Cómo se puede pretender que mi comida sepa horrible!

How can you claim that my food taste horrible!

posted by Rolest
It is best to stay out of the way of the tempermental cook! LOL - Brynleigh, JUL 10, 2010
Change my mind, really, is delicious;) - Silvia, JUL 11, 2010
4

Todos nosotros pretendemos ser estrellas.

All of us aspire to be stars.

posted by 192flat
So true! - Silvia, JUL 11, 2010
4

Cuando estoy en la oficina, pretendo (finjo) que estoy trabajando, pero, en realidad, estoy aprendiendo español en SpanishDict.com.

When I am in the office, I pretend that I am working, but I am really learning Spanish on SpanishDict.com.

alt_text

edited by Lucrecia
posted by Lucrecia
I think "finjo" works better than "pretendo" here :) - Benz, JUL 10, 2010
Benz, gracias...you just taught me a new verb! - Lucrecia, JUL 11, 2010
4

Ayer, mi hija pasó sus exámenes de enfermería y ahora pretende ser una enfermera practicante en el futuro.

Yesterday my daughter passed her nursing exams and now she aspires to be a nurse practicioner in the future.

posted by sanlee
3

¡No pretendas ser otra, sólo permanece fiel a tu identidad!.

Don't pretend to be other, just stay true to your identity!.

posted by Krama
Perfect!!! - Benz, JUL 10, 2010
Gracias Benz. - Krama, JUL 10, 2010
...be another........ - 005faa61, JUL 10, 2010