HomeQ&AIs the point system working or is it me?

Is the point system working or is it me?

2

I am getting 0 rep points or 1 rep point when being voted up on an answer. Is that how it works?. Sometimes I will get 10 rep points for being voted up. Why is it different at times? I have not exceeded the 200 rep points per day so I am curious as to why the points flucuate like that. I would appreciate any information.

edited by --Mariana--
posted by Brynleigh
Now I am at 200 so I will have to wait and see what happens in 24 hours. - Brynleigh, JUL 9, 2010

4

The system is a bit peculiar, and apart from seeming somewhat cryptic and arcane, to make things worse, it also sometimes malfunctions. Sometimes it takes away points when you get voted up! I don't know if it's still going on, but for a while my weekly points were listed as greater than my all time points! It's just a bit dysfunctional. Though it may be frustrating for you at first, I would try to just ignore it. I've given up chronicling all its inconsistencies. I figure it messes up everybody about equally, and so things turn out about right in the end. wink

edited by MacFadden
posted by MacFadden
I agree - nizhoni1, JUL 9, 2010
I agree too :) - Benz, JUL 9, 2010
3

Nametaken said:

No, the limit is over 24 hours, not a day to day limit. So if I managed to get 200 points right now (it's 7pm here) from scratch, then I would have to wait until 7pm tomorrow to get any points.

But it's not fair, is it? Some day you're inspired and make 300 points... you miss those extra 100? I'm trying to undestand...

updated MAR 3, 2011
posted by Benz
I know, it's a bit of an annoyance but that's the way it is :). It doesn't really matter all that much anyway, does it? - --Jen--, JUL 9, 2010
Not at all really!! :)) - Benz, JUL 9, 2010
My point is , what is the "point" of giving "points" if the " point system is not to the pont? jejeje - Brynleigh, JUL 9, 2010
I understand and you're right, but I'm a native Spanish just trying to help all of you. I don't care much about points. If I had the time I would have as many as Heidita!!!! - Benz, JUL 9, 2010
Gracias Benz, your help is appreciated so much by me. - Brynleigh, JUL 9, 2010
3

There are lots of threads on this same subject. Basically, the system works on a 24 hour rolling period, so it's hard to say where it starts and where it begins again.

Just take a look at your points for the whole day and you'll see that they're being added.

I agree, it's a confusing system.

updated MAR 3, 2011
I have read the threads but the way mine is working is not making any sense. - Brynleigh, JUL 9, 2010
1

Well now it is getting really wierd. I had 200 points for the day and then it went back to 190!

Maybe I should contact Administration. Is it Chris that I contact?

updated MAR 3, 2011
posted by Brynleigh
It's not for the day, It's from a 24 hour period. It means that 24 hours and 1 second ago, you were voted up for something. It no longer counts in your 24 hour period, thus it goes down to 190. There is nothing wrong, - MeEncantanCarasSonrisas, JUL 9, 2010
I guess it's me then. - Brynleigh, JUL 9, 2010
1

I think it has glitches, instead of one hundred and ninety something points for one of the lessons the other day I got nineteen lol. And most of the time I get voted up I get 0 points or 1 point but to me points are a side point.

I love trying to answer questions because that motivates me to check what I know or research something I don't. And the same for the lessons, a great way to reiterate things learnt long ago and that are now half forgotten or to learn something I must have totally missed when I first learnt spanish. It's all good smile

posted by Kiwi-Girl
Well, I guess it is what it is! :) - Brynleigh, JUL 9, 2010
1

posted by --Jen--