HomeQ&ASkype chat: Guidelines

Skype chat: Guidelines

18

I will post this as a reference article but maybe you have some suggestions I can add.

There has been some abuse on the nice skype chat which was originally inspired by Valerie.

We are more than 70 members now on the chat, and it seems the chat needs moderating and clearer guidelines. I have been talking with several of the members registered on the chat to moderate.

Moderators: All of the below mentioned are proficient in either language, English or Spanish, please contact them for any kind of advice.

Valerie

Marianne

Heidita

Charlius

Guidelines

1) This particular skype chat depends on the forum and is directly connected to the forum. It is not some kind of independent chat. All members there are forum members, which is a condition to participate.

2) You can accept any member's contact as they are known on the site, any kind of abuse will be reported immediately to the mods who will then take a decision.

3) Any member who abuses the chat will be removed from the contacts immediately. (The member will still be considered a member on the forum, unless their abuse continues on the site)

4) This skype chat was implemented for students of both English and Spanish. The idea is to participate in both languages, to benefit learners in both languages. It will be considered very abusive, to "use" a native (of any language) to just talk in that native's language and not share and allow the other person to learn. If you ask a native to talk to you on a one-to-one basis, please remember to make it a 50/50 conversation, everybody is learning herewink

5) Swearing or foul language on the group chat is not allowed. If you have a private chat with a member, this must be of mutual consent, otherwise it will be considered abuse too.

updated NOV 5, 2012
edited by 00494d19

4

Thank you for these Guidelines, Heidita.

The Skype Chat is a successful thing so far, and therefore, it's really good to have some rules in place to keep it that way.

Remember, everyone, the purpose of the Chat is to have fun learning!

4

I think the thing to remember is that on the chat, we are speaking in both Spanish and in English.

People need to hear the language spoken if they are going to ever get proficient with the language.

I do think however, that when someone is speaking in either language, it is very important to speak slowly and clearly.

I know for myself, when I hear Spanish spoken very quickly, the words “run” together, and I don’t know if what the person is saying is a word, or has something attached to it like a pronoun or whatever.

So, I think that it is very important that in the chats we all try to speak clearly, and try not to “run on” sentences.

updated DIC 2, 2010
posted by Rolest
I agree, except when Heidi is trying to translate to Meli, I love hearing them in R E A L time. - Yeser007, JUL 9, 2010
Very True! - Rolest, JUL 10, 2010
2

Thanks for the guidelines Heidi!! smile It's going to be awesome!!

posted by Jason7R
2

First, let me say that I totally understand and respect the guidelines... I love the two chats I have had the pleasure to attend and appreciated all that helped me at those chats.

My question being has any thought or work be put it to setting up Chats that are focused on only speaking one of the two languages? A beginners/intermediate/advance all Spanish or English chat, if you will... I love to set and talk English with native Spanish speakers, teaching the in and outs of my language, but at the same time I want to learn theirs. Now, I am not trying to take advantage of others or horde anybodies time. But I think a targeted, single focus chat wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing...

Thanks Bob

posted by kerflop
2

I can live with those guidelines, especially with the size of the group expanding every day. Shouldn't you add another in a different time zone, like Pacific, to give the others a chance to sleep. It looks like everyone except Heidi the night owl is in Eastern time.

edit: Sorry Valerie, I just double checked and see that you are Central. That's much better gulp

edited by Yeser007
posted by Yeser007
2

The Spanish Chat on Saturday Night's has become very popular over the last few months, so please, continue to respect yourself and to respect others.

posted by Mark-Baker
nice:) - 00494d19, JUL 9, 2010
2

Thanks peter, anybody else would like to add something?

2

We definitely have to draw the line somewhere. If we have too many people in there, it's hard to hold a conversation. Also, if people aren't there to learn, that would make the chat worthless. Great choices for the moderators too smile. They'll keep us all on task lol. :D

posted by Debiera
1

That raises some difficult issues. I have some sympathy for students that want to have things "slowed down" a bit but, at the same time I firmly believe that, ultimately, one has to deal with Spanish (or whatever language) in "the raw", so to speak.

When one goes to another country (e.g. Spanish speaking), one encounters all sorts of people. If they have some experience speaking with foreigners, they may know how to slow down or avoid regionalisms but many of them will not have such experience.

Everyone is familiar with the (joke) situation of the traveler in a foreign land who when the "natives" don't understand, simply speaks more loudly. Very often the speaker of language X doesn't know how to speak more "simply" because he has no idea of what is the cause of your difficulty (simply speed of utterance or colloquialisms or regional pronunciation, or [the list goes on and on]).

posted by samdie
True, if we were in a foreign country. But the purpose of the chat is to hear the language spoken, and if it can’t be understood, how can that possible be beneficial? - Rolest, JUL 12, 2010
But, surely, that is the purpose behind the creation of "beginne"/"intermediate"/advanced" gsub-groups. - samdie, JUL 17, 2010
0

Awhh. I hope they put the Chat back on the website. My spanish improved so much better talking to natives there. Now its just gone bleh >.> I met some really cool people there and we all had great fun together.

updated NOV 5, 2012
posted by locanessa
0

Please remember these basic guidelines.