HomeQ&ALevantarse vs. despertarse

Levantarse vs. despertarse

1

Please explain usage different for Reflexive Verb form. My understanding is both mean " to wake up" ?/ " to get up"

Thanks

posted by ujustu4u
Thanks - ujustu4u, JUL 8, 2010

4

despertarse is to open your eyes and not be sleeping any more.

levantarse is to get up out of bed.

They're similar concepts, so they're used interchangeably sometimes when the speaker isn't trying to be real specifc.

posted by petersenkid2
One more point. Pararse is also used to mean "get up". I think it is more specific than levantarse, although there is a case that could be made to say they are synonymous. - petersenkid2, JUL 10, 2010
2

the difference is visible in the non-reflexive uses of the verbs.

levantar indicates a raising, lifting.

despertar, besides meaning wake, also means to arouse or revive.

posted by felix23
1

You can think about it this way....if you don't have to get up right away you can lay around in bed a long time before you actually get yourself out of bed. Despertarse is waking up (and the alarm clock is, conveniently, el despertador, or, a waker-upper). Leventarse, on the other hand, is actually getting yourself out of the recumbant position (think of levitate), a much more difficult acccomplishment, in my opinion.

posted by Echoline
That is the best way to remember these 2 words use Thank you - ujustu4u, JUL 8, 2010
0

One more that is very similar = pararse. To stand up.

I was sleeping soundly in my bed when I heard my wife say in her very commanding tone: "¡Parate!

posted by petersenkid2
Oops. Sorry. Forgot I added that as a comment on my other answer :-( - petersenkid2, JUL 13, 2010