HomeQ&AInterpretation Game: Creative Translation (2): Afortunado

Interpretation Game: Creative Translation (2): Afortunado

5

Here we go again! Hopefully this time the rules are clearer! grin

The principle of the game is to take advantage of the fact that many words can be interpreted in different ways. So the challenge is to try and ignore the mental image we get from reading the whole text, and see what alternate meanings we can come up with for the words provided, so that we end up with a text that is unquestionably a translation of the words provided, but with a different, creative meaning. For example, Most of us might translate "La casa roja" as "The red house". But with a bit of imagination it can be "The Communist firm"!

The guidelines for the game are: 1. It really must be translation. That is, do not make something up: I need to understand why you chose the words you did. Use the interpretation of the words that most appeal your imagination, but do offer an actual translation of the words provided. Please do not add elements that are not in the original text. The idea is to see what much we can do with what we have. 2.Your translated text must make sense when read. In other words, just random, disconnected text does not qualify. 3.Your translated text must be grammatically correct and use proper spelling and capitalization. 4.Use your imagination! Think outside the box! Contemplate the possibilities - Have fun!

This is open to everyone, regardless of level. Don't be afraid to try, there are no wrong anwers; it's just for fun! I may, however, accept an answer if I find it really clever, or if it gets a lot of votes and popular acclamation!

Today's sentence is this:

Usted será afortunado si consigue que esta persona trabaje para usted.

edited by Gekkosan
posted by Gekkosan
"to see what much" ▬► "to see how much" - Izanoni1, JUL 9, 2010
Thanks Izanoni. Perhaps I'll make that correction into a thread. I understand why you made it, but I'm not entirely sure that what I wrote is absolutely incorrect. I think expression such as "what much" and "what all" have a place in English usage... - Gekkosan, JUL 9, 2010

5

í Usted será afortunado si consigue que esta persona trabaje para usted.!

= You will be lucky if you can get through to this guy the fact that he works for you !

based upon conseguir vi = to get through to someone I am using it in a purely figurative /metaphorical sense the dictionary example gave me a literal example to get through to someone's number on a telephone line

edited by FELIZ77
posted by FELIZ77
Wow! That's great! The translation actually stands, even though you changed the point of view. Nice! Jump up to Journeyman Equivocator! - Gekkosan, JUL 8, 2010
Omg, that one is priceless. Made me laugh out loud! - margaretbl, JUL 8, 2010
Thx Gekko hahaha I always knew I was on some kind of journey lol - FELIZ77, JUL 9, 2010
This answer definitely deserves being accepted. Feliz got very much in the spirit of the game, and found a way to provide valid transalation for each word provided, and come up with a different meaning that still makes sense. :-) - Gekkosan, JUL 9, 2010
Excellent, Feliz!!! - --Mariana--, JUL 9, 2010
Awww, Thx Marianne - FELIZ77, JUL 9, 2010
A most excellent job, Feliz. ¡Bien hecho! - Delores--Lindsey, JUL 10, 2010
2

Lady Luck will shine upon you if you can grasp that this creature should do your dirty work.

A gangster telling his boss that he would be fortunate to have a guy do his killing for him.

posted by 005faa61
Well, good! Why not go ahead and just write "your assasinations for you"? That would definitely work as a *very* creative interpretation! - Gekkosan, JUL 9, 2010
"Killing" is a broad term here and I probably should have used a different word for my explaination. "Dirty work" can anything that is shameful, not necessarily killing. - 005faa61, JUL 9, 2010
But now you have given me an idea: "your wacking for you." Jajaja - 005faa61, JUL 9, 2010
I undestand. However, it could have worked for the purpose of this excercise: show to what extent the sense of the sentece can change depending on what meaning you choose for each word! - Gekkosan, JUL 9, 2010
2

We are starting to see some more creative and adventurous answers in this second round of the game.

I must give special credit to Feliz, Margaret and Delores, who worked on fine-tuning their answers to go from something fairly close to the expected standard interpretation, to something much more creative!

I still think we can take it further, and come up with wilder (mis) interpretations of the text provided.

Here is one option I can think of:

"'You will be a rich person if you are able to locate the fact that this identity operates under your command.''

Afortunado is related to prosperity as much as it is to luck.

Conseguir can mean obtain or find.

Persona can mean an individual, or an identity, a role.

Trabajar may mean to do work or to operate / function, as in "this radio doesn't work".

Now let's see who's the first to earn the Master Equivocator title in the next rounds! tongue rolleye

posted by Gekkosan
Thank you for this, I see we have so many more fields to plow! - margaretbl, JUL 9, 2010
2

= You really will be fortunate if you can succeed in getting this person to work in your best interests or...

You will be truly Blessed if you can achieve this: persuade this person to work for you

edited by FELIZ77
posted by FELIZ77
Ahh! That's an unexpected one! Good! - Gekkosan, JUL 8, 2010
Thanks Gekko :) - FELIZ77, JUL 8, 2010
Nice! You can consider yourself an Able Equivocator! :-) - Gekkosan, JUL 8, 2010
Thanks Gekko... I am encouraged - FELIZ77, JUL 8, 2010
2

You will indeed be among the most fortunate if you can use your persuasive powers to make this person conform to the idea that being in your employ would be to his/her benefit. raspberry

edited by Delores--Lindsey
posted by Delores--Lindsey
Certainly florid - excellent use of language! Can you provide a translation that means something completely different, though? :-) - Gekkosan, JUL 8, 2010
Oh! I'm not sure, but I'll give it the old school try. :-) - Delores--Lindsey, JUL 8, 2010
1

Usted será afortunado si consigue que esta persona trabaje para usted

You, sir, will be lucky if I get this person to do your work.

raspberry

posted by AngelinaG
Ok.. but how do you come up with "if I get" - in thefirst person? - Gekkosan, JUL 9, 2010
I think because the subjunctive is the same in the first and third person singular. At least I think it is. - megan5, JUL 9, 2010
Yes, but although there is a condition established, the verb is not being conjugated in the subjunctive (consiguiera), but in the present (consigue). - Gekkosan, JUL 9, 2010
Right, sorry... was thinking about the wrong verb lol - megan5, JUL 9, 2010
1

You'll be happy once you realize that you are reaping the benefits of another person's labor. Probably in the context of some lazy executives trying to convince a new guy that he will accept their behavior of using the people below them when he realizes how much happier he will be not having to do anything? Sorry, thats a long explanation.

Conseguir means to get, so I reinterpreted to the English "oh, I get it!" version.

And then, instead of just saying that someone else is working for him, I wanted to imply that he no longer had to work because the other person was giving him the profits of his own labor.

I hope I didn't take it too far to be in the rules still. smile Please correct my mistakes.

posted by megan5
hm... I'd say that's beding the rules just a tad, mostly because you both changin the focus of the action, and the conjugation of "trabajar''. Still, definitely gets a big vote for cleverness and originality!! - Gekkosan, JUL 9, 2010
Sorry :( thanks for the vote though... I'll try to do better next round. I really like this game lol - megan5, JUL 9, 2010
It was really a very good attempt! - Gekkosan, JUL 9, 2010
1

How about: "You're lucky if you can get that guy to treat you as his superior/boss"?

posted by Rikko
Not bad at all, Rikko. :-) - Gekkosan, JUL 9, 2010
1

I wonder if it could be interpreted like this:

You can consider yourself lucky if he/she manages to make this person work for you.

posted by luz_72
The interpretation is valid, yes. Would you dare try something wilder, though? :-) - Gekkosan, JUL 9, 2010
1

Person to whom I am speaking, objects will turn favorably for you if you are sentenced to this character's functioning for you. shut eye

posted by Delores--Lindsey
Okaaaaayy... That's *very* good! And funny! Not sure if it makes a whole lot of sense, but that's definitely a good example of tortured translation! - Gekkosan, JUL 8, 2010
conseguir - to get / to get 10 years - to be sentenced to 10 years (in prison) - Delores--Lindsey, JUL 8, 2010
trabajar - to work/ The radio was not working/functioning. - Delores--Lindsey, JUL 8, 2010
Right. the thing is whether it makes much sense in the end or not. :-) - Gekkosan, JUL 9, 2010
1

You yourself will be lucky if you win that that individual toil for you.

Haha. I find this very difficult to do (but it IS fun). It goes against all my ingrained ideas of tranlation.

posted by margaretbl
or if you win that individual to work (toil) for you/that individual's toil for you perhaps? - FELIZ77, JUL 8, 2010
Good try :) - FELIZ77, JUL 8, 2010
Seems like you're on a roll, Feliz! :-D - Gekkosan, JUL 8, 2010
This is pretty good! - Gekkosan, JUL 8, 2010
Argh, that's waaay better, thx Feliz - margaretbl, JUL 8, 2010
1

My unclever attempt: You'll be lucky if you can get that guy to do your work for you.

edited by jeezzle
posted by jeezzle
It is interesting: how did you come up with "do your work"? :-) - Gekkosan, JUL 8, 2010
I figured "work for you" could be interpreted in a few different ways, not just "work for you" like in your employ, but rather, work F O R you, as in do your work. Just a thought. - jeezzle, JUL 8, 2010
Ok, that's valid. Good! - Gekkosan, JUL 8, 2010