HomeQ&AI'm toast........

I'm toast........

0

Estoy frito, verdad? Our dictionary lists "estar frito" as "to be kipping" which I don't understand as I have never heard of "kipping" in my life.

posted by jeezzle
I agree with "Estoy Frito" - Gekkosan, JUL 8, 2010

2

That's weird, I've heard 'estoy frito' to be fried like 'tired out' but kipping means sleeping doesn't it?

posted by Kiwi-Girl
Never heard kipping. - jeezzle, JUL 8, 2010
1

Clarification please... I'm toast as in "I've been working all day and used up all of my energy"?

or

I'm toast as in this scene from "Ferris Bueler's Day Off"? alt text

posted by petersenkid2
The latter. Toast. - jeezzle, JUL 8, 2010
I don't know the formal way to say it, but day-to-day it's "ya me chingé" or "ya me jodí" ;) - petersenkid2, JUL 8, 2010
Yes, but Ï'm Toast" is not vulgar. So, "estoy frito" is a good, non-vulgar way to translate the term. - Gekkosan, JUL 8, 2010
Gekkosan - estoy frito does not mean what "I'm toast" means - in the context that jeezzle has laid it out. - petersenkid2, JUL 8, 2010
Just checked with "the boss". Ya me fregé. - petersenkid2, JUL 8, 2010
That's the way I have always known and used the expression ""estoy frito''. Perhaps it is a bit old-fashioned for you, or you are not familiar with it . In any event, if you do a search on Google, you will find plenty of examples. - Gekkosan, JUL 9, 2010
'Ya me fregué' is also a good option. - Gekkosan, JUL 9, 2010
1

kip 3 (kp) Chiefly British Slang n.

1. A rooming house.
  2. A place to sleep; a bed.
  3. Sleep.

intr.v. kipped, kip·ping, kips

To sleep.

Ahhh, but why don't you post the *origin* of the word? That's the most interesting bit of all! - Gekkosan, JUL 8, 2010
1

Leave it to Maria to know what kipping is! smile You are a wealth of knowledge. wink

edited by Jason7R
posted by Jason7R
Comes from being a mongrel who travels lol - a kiwi with English parents (hence the kipping) who lived long enough in the PI of Tonga to be fluent in Tongan, a fair bit of time in South America - but too long ago- hence the need to brush up the Spanish :) - Kiwi-Girl, JUL 8, 2010