HomeQ&ADesvelo.......

Desvelo.......

2

ok... gracias por entenderme y por ser un ANGEL... estas muy cansada hoy? yo siempre prefiero ver.... antes que hacer cualquier otra cosa!!! pero de veras es complicado... un beso, Igual te desvelo mas tarde. ja .ja

Please help me understand this text, especially the word desvelo

Thank you

posted by helen_wood

2

This is quite a private message.

In this context, desvelo is a form of desvelar - which means to "keep awake". If you stayed up all night talking, you would be desvelada.

In this message - "y te desvelo mas tarde - ja ja" means you should be planning on not getting any sleep when he gets to you because he's going to keep you up. Doing what? I think you already know the answer to that question.

edited by petersenkid2
posted by petersenkid2
Absolutely - Gekkosan, JUL 8, 2010
Talking about feelings and cuddling, duh. - 003487d6, JUL 8, 2010
1

hahaha... Thanks you guys.x

Although peter, he owns a bar/restaurant so by the time he finishes/time he gets to me, i'll be longggg asleep!! wink jajaja

thanks again. besos...

posted by helen_wood
1

ok ... Thanks for understanding and for being an ANGEL ... are you very tired today? I always prefer to see .... before doing anything else! but it really is complicated ... a kiss,

Edit - see other answers for the last bit as they did a much better job than me lol smile

edited by Kiwi-Girl
posted by Kiwi-Girl
0

The way I am most familiar with the usage of this verb is as it relates to staying up or staying out late. It also has a connotation about being tired because of it.

For example, in the morning, someone (my lovely wife) might ask me.

¿Como amaneciste? ¿Te desvelaste anoche?

Or, if she was the one who was out late, she might say...

¡Hijole, estoy bien desvelada. Llegue a las 4:00 de la mañana, porque estaba platicando con mis cuatas!

Or, if I am on the computer as she is going to bed, she might say... "no te desveles, mi amor."

posted by petersenkid2
thanx Petersen? so what is she saying when she says 'estoy bien desvelada' - Kiwi-Girl, JUL 8, 2010
0

So to say. No me desvelo esperando que tu texto

would mean. I do not stay awake hoping for your text??

posted by helen_wood
Yes - Gekkosan, JUL 8, 2010
To me it does have a bit of a negative connotation, though - as in: I won't be bothered to stay awake waiting for your text. - Gekkosan, JUL 8, 2010
0

I would put:

No me quedo despierta la esperanza de su texto.

Can a native speaker explain the use of desvelar?

I'm probably wrong but I thought it carried more of a meaning of being kept awake?

As in:

el café me desvela: coffee keeps me awake

posted by Kiwi-Girl
0

I don't agree, Maria Claire. It's a reflexive verb.

Your translation of "I will stay awake for you" would be me desvelo. Here, the author says "te desvelo". Meaning I will keep you up. Don't you think?

edited by petersenkid2
posted by petersenkid2
ah yes quite right :) - Kiwi-Girl, JUL 8, 2010
I've deleted my second half so that it doesn't complicate matters, thanx for the help :) - Kiwi-Girl, JUL 8, 2010
0

Thanks for understanding me and for being an angel. Are you very tired today? I always prefer to see before doing anything else. But Really it's complicated. A kiss. Likewise I will keep you up all night later. Haha

edited by 003487d6