HomeQ&Asounds alike, different meanings

sounds alike, different meanings

1

lets play a game... to too two.. sounds alike but different meanings...can you think of other words like this in spanish?

posted by Mr-Barry
This game already exists, sorry. - 00494d19, JUL 8, 2010

1

I don't think there are very many homonyms (don't want to say there are none) in Spanish because of the way Spanish pronunciation works. Because they pronounce the vowels the exact same way in given circumstances, there would be few (or no) instances where different combinations of letters, like in English, the "o", the "oo", and the "wo", all make the same sound. Each would have it's own distinct pronunciation.

That, at least, is my understanding of pronunciation. That's why I say that Spanish is a much simpler language than English. Pronunciation is one of the areas in Spanish in which there are very few exceptions.

posted by megan5
Again, this isn't to say there are none... I'm not a fluent Spanish speaker. I just can't imagine there being very many at all in Spanish. - megan5, JUL 8, 2010
Off the top of my head I am having trouble remembering, but, with the similarities in pronounciation of "v" and "b" combined with "ll" and "y", there are some. - Nathaniel, JUL 8, 2010
All of those words that have diacritical accent marks would fall into this category (si, sí, se, sé) sound the same, spelled differently with different meanings. Spanish probably has more than English - 0074b507, JUL 8, 2010
Totally forgot about the accent things and the similar consonants, thanks for setting me straight guys :) - megan5, JUL 8, 2010
1

We just did this not too long ago. I came up with:

casar - to marry, cazar - to hunt cocer - to cook, coser - to sew

posted by KevinB
Yes I was thinking the same thing as I came up with abrazar and abrasar - FELIZ77, JUL 8, 2010