HomeQ&AWhat do you call a "housekeeper" "maid" in a Mexican hotel?

What do you call a "housekeeper" "maid" in a Mexican hotel?

3

posted by jbken

3

I was recently in a hotel in Puerto Vallarta and the staff referred to the housekeeping ladies as 'las camareras'.

posted by margaretbl
good choice!! - Benz, JUL 8, 2010
It seemed to be the way in that hotel at least! - margaretbl, JUL 8, 2010
Our dictionary translates that to "chambermaid". - 0074b507, JUL 8, 2010
3

In Mexico, both Recamarera(o) and Camarera(o) are used. If they are young girls, Muchacha is acceptable.

Luisa and Benz are right! Do not call them Sirvienta.

To address them directly, use normal titles - Sra, Srta, Joven, Sr.

edited by 005faa61
posted by 005faa61
1

For a hotel "camarera". For the house "muchacha", "señora del servicio". Now, there are some people that called them "chacha", "gata", "sirvienta". I think those sound very "despectivos" I am not sure how to say that in English... Los últimos tres suenan despectivos. Pero para el hotel es camarera.

posted by 00e46f15
1

I think you can call her la sirvienta

posted by Mustafa_Said
Don't call them that! For me it is kind of offensive archaic term. That is what my grandma would say. - LuisaGomezBartle, JUL 8, 2010
That's V E R Y offensive!!!! - Benz, JUL 8, 2010
1

Perhaps archaic, or classist, but in México I have often heard references to "la muchacha" and this abbreviated to "la chacha".

Another I've heard, perhaps less insulting, is "la camarera".

I agree with the poster who suggested, especially speaking directly, to address this peron as "Señora o Señorita" to avoid bruised egos that some of the above might cause

posted by Cardinal
1

when in doubt, Senora is always best

posted by Mr-Barry
I'll help you with the typo: "señora" ;) ... I agree, if you have to call her, it's better to call her "señora", but her job is "mucama" (at lest in Argentina) - Benz, JUL 8, 2010
1

Here in Bolivia such a lady is called an empleada.

Well mine is and her name is Rosa.

posted by ian-hill
Yes, but especially at home. In a hotel they are called "mucamas". Is this word used in Bolivia Ian? - Benz, JUL 8, 2010
I don't know Benz. - ian-hill, JUL 8, 2010
1

I don't know in Mexico, but in Argentina it's "mucama" wink

posted by Benz
0

You would use the same rules as in English. When refering to them you would ask for the "camarera" but when speaking to them directly you would address them as Señora or Señorita, perhaps even call them by name. Do not call them sirvienta because that is basically calling them "servant." if you need to ask for housekeeping you can ask for "servicio de limpieza" "cleaning service."

posted by Chidoliro
Oh definitely do NOT call them muchacha! That means girl but it's rude to call someone "girl" don't call them chacha nor gata, those words are derogatory. - Chidoliro, ABR 25, 2012