HomeQ&AFarmacia or Drogueria

Farmacia or Drogueria

2

Is the word Farmacia the correct translation in spanish for word the word pharmacy or is it just another span-english derivative? Which one is a correct translation for the word Pharmacy Drogueria or Farmacia? I have seen the word Farmacia in many latin countries show up on the front of many shops and I have seen Drogueria used on this site as a translation.

posted by santajo61

1

When I have been to different places on holiday in Spain eg: Campo Amor (near/south of Torrevieja), Torrevieja, Pineda de Mar, Calella, and visited Barcelona I have only ever seen Farmacia meaning /= Chemist

I suspect that drogueria may mean something more like the american 'Drugstore' which is a small store selling many household goods that may include plasters and some medicines but perhaps not having its own trained pharmacist..

posted by FELIZ77
Absolutely right. - peregrinamaria, JUL 8, 2010
3

At least in Argentina, "farmacia" is the way to go. We use "Droguería" for the distributor of drugs (who provides to the "farmacias")

posted by 00e657d4
Perfect!! :) - Benz, JUL 8, 2010
3

It may be regional. In Mexico it's Farmacia.

posted by 005faa61
1

In Spain is equal this definition of wikipedia:

Una Droguería es un comercio especializado o bien un mercado de proporciones mayores. La selección de artículos se divide en 4 campos:

Artículos de salud (tés, esencias y tinturas);

Artículos de belleza y wellness (productos para el cuidado corporal y de la piel, perfumes, aceites, cosméticos, etc.);

Productos reformadores biológicos y alimentos especiales;

Artículos especializados para el hogar y el jardín.

posted by kawalero
1

Hi Santajo. Welcome to the forum.

I've only seen and heard the word "farmacia" in Mexico.

I agree. Many of the drug stores in Mexico are labled farmacia. It would be intresting to find out where the name it something else. I was just curious. :) - santajo61, JUL 8, 2010
1

Agreed... All the places I have been it has been Farmacia. Never heard Drogueria before. My travels are all in Mexcio....

posted by kerflop
0

In Venezuela una farmacia is just like an American drugstore. They sell drugs, plus other stuff. I never heard droguería there

posted by KevinB
0

Having visited a huge number of these on my Camino, I can confirm that, in Spain, the "farmacia" is where you will find a pharmacist, prescription medication and over-the-counter drugs, such as analgesics and also stock sticking plasters, foot-care products some health supplements etc. They sometimes also specialise in something like orthopedics or disability aids. Unlike a "droguería" where everything is on display, in a "farmacia", there's often very little on display so it's a great opportunity to practice your Spanish!

A "droguería" is the equivalent of a drugstore. They stock cleaning products and light hardware, beauty care products, some foodstuffs and very basic medical equipment like plasters.

If you want perfume (which in UK & Ireland, we would generally purchase in a pharmacy / chemist's), you would normally go to a "perfumería".

posted by peregrinamaria