HomeQ&Aseñora and señorita

señora and señorita

4

what is the difference in usage of señora and señorita?

updated SEP 10, 2016
posted by hisyam

5

As sylyon said:

Señora is used for a lady that is married. Señorita is used for referring to women that are not married.

Also, Señora is used for an "older" woman and Señorita is used for a "young" woman.

I'm 66 and not married. Unfortunately, I haven't been called a señorita for many years!

updated SEP 10, 2016
posted by Pajaro44
It is not "good manners" to call even an old lady "señora". You always start as "señorita", and then if they correct you then you say " señora "... - 00e46f15, JUL 7, 2010
Hmmm! I wish that you could tell that to all the people in Latin America that have called me "señora" in the past ??? years! - Pajaro44, JUL 8, 2010
Forgive their bad manners... :) Señorita pajaro44 - 00e46f15, JUL 8, 2010
Is that current status? What if you are divorced/widowed? soltera, but ¿señorita? - 0074b507, JUL 8, 2010
At least in Mexico, you are señorita as long as you have not had any "relationship" with a man. If you are divorced or widow you are "señora", becuase you were with a man. - 00e46f15, JUL 8, 2010
There are some señoritas that actually are señoras, because they did not wait until they were married. But that is their choice... - 00e46f15, JUL 8, 2010
So, if we are not sure weather or not there are married, it is best to use senorita? (I am sorry, I know it is important to use the accents but I haven't figured out how to on my computer, maybe can someone tell me??? Por favor???) - akolojek, SEP 10, 2016
4

posted by 00e46f15
1

sad to say but age makes the difference

posted by Mr-Barry
0

Esteban said:

when I am in the United States, I will call any woman of any age "Mizz" until she corrects me.

I do the same here in Guatemala. I call every woman and girl "señorita" until told otherwise. The more "mature" women giggle and seem flattered. Moreover, everyone calls me "Seño" (short for "señorita") and I'm 48.

updated MAR 9, 2013
Mariana, or anyone, is there a trend starting in any of the Spanish-speaking countries similar to what we have here in the United States ... calling women "Mizz"? And if so, what word has been chosen? - Esteban3304, MAR 9, 2013
0

Well, do wedding rings provide a function regarding this issue in Latin American countries? If you can clearly see a wedding ring on a young or an older woman's finger, shouldn't you call her "señora"? I am also wondering if women's rights movements in Latin American countries would affect this issue? Personally, to show that I fully support women's rights, when I am in the United States, I will call any woman of any age "Mizz" until she corrects me. Finally, whether or not a woman is still a virgin should not impact my decision regarding what to call her. It is nobody's business. To me, that is a totally sexist notion. It shouldn't figure into this issue at all. And the idea that a woman could be slighted by calling her señora is something from the dark ages.

updated MAR 6, 2013
posted by Esteban3304
0

When speaking to older women, one should always use señorita. As a 19-year-old boy, I find this is not only polite, but flattering as well. Since younger women are usually referred to as señorita as well, it's best to just remove señora from your vocabulary (assuming she doesn't correct you).

updated MAR 6, 2013
posted by ibandribew