HomeQ&AInterpretation Game: Creative Translation (1): Perdidos!

Interpretation Game: Creative Translation (1): Perdidos!

8

The other day, when I started getting some really creative translation attempts to my post "Translate the Tweet", I go the idea for this game. I'm not quite sure yet how it's going to play out, but let's give it a try and see how it goes.

The basic idea is this: I am going to post a sentence, and I invite you to offer your most creative effort at interpreting it. The rules are simple, but I ask you to please stick to them:

1. It really must be translation. That is, do not just make something up: I need to understand why you chose the words you did. Use the interpretation of the words that most appeal your imagination, but do offer an actual translation of the words provided. 2. Your translated text must make sense when read. In other words, just random, disconnected text does not qualify. 3. Your translated text must be grammatically correct and use proper spelling and capitalization. 4. Use your imagination! Think outside the box! Contemplate the possibilities - Have fun!

This is open to everyone, regardless of level. Don't be afraid to try, it's just for fun! I may, however, accept an answer if I find it really clever, or if it gets a lot of votes and popular acclamation!

Today's sentence is this:

Los exploradores se adentraron en la selva y siguieron avanzando durante un par de horas. Acabaron perdiéndose, pues Vanzando no conocía el camino.

Now, do your worst!

edited by Gekkosan
posted by Gekkosan
:) - 00494d19, JUL 7, 2010

2

The (would be) explorers penetrated the jungle and forged ahead for a couple of hours. They ended up getting lost since Vanzando (having lost the first letter of his name) didn't have a clue about advancing along the path.

I wasn't too sure about how far from literal we were allowed to go. I hope that this is acceptable according to the rules.

tongue wink

George he's not. Speaking of Señor A. Vanzando.

edited by Delores--Lindsey
posted by Delores--Lindsey
Nice. I'll be refining the instructions as we go. Generally the idea is not to make stuff up, but to use creative / alternative interpretation of the words that are there. - Gekkosan, JUL 8, 2010
I love that movie :) - Kiwi-Girl, JUL 8, 2010
2

After pounding down a few cases of Corona, Avanzando an his buddies decided to explore the jungle. Avanzando went into the jungle with his buddies following. After a couple of hours they got lost since Avanzando did not know the way either. It was like the blind leading the blind cool smirk

posted by albert-fabrik-
Ok, I see lots of creative interpretation here - perhaps a bit too much! :-) The idea is to find different ways to translate the text provided, not so much to make up a story out of the general gist. Fun, though! - Gekkosan, JUL 8, 2010
2

The explorers delved deep into the jungle and kept on going for a couple of hours. They ended up getting lost since Mr. Let's-keep-going didn't know the way.

posted by alba3
Love the Mr. l-k-g! :-) Let's see. Have I ever experienced this scenario before? Well...yes. lol - Delores--Lindsey, JUL 7, 2010
Jajaja - --Mariana--, JUL 8, 2010
Definitely *very clever* with the L-K-G bit. Now could you find other meanings for the rest of the words, so that the sentence still makes sense, even if it means something else? :-) - Gekkosan, JUL 8, 2010
2

The explorers entered the jungle and made really great progress for a couple of hours. They had just finished getting lost...Vanzando didn't know the way.

Very good! You found an alternate way to translate "Acabaron Perdiéndose" That's the general idea! - Gekkosan, JUL 8, 2010
2

The trail-blazers made their way into the land overgrown with thick layers of vegetation and plant life, and they continued pressing forward for two hours. Since Vanzando was not aquainted with the path, they ended up getting lost.

![alt text][1]

[1]: http://www.cyrilbrass.com/images/Three toed Sloth 1.JPG "Vanzando"
edited by EggmanS
posted by EggmanS
Very good! This is closer to what I have in mind: use the words provided to come up with unusual or non-standard interpretations! - Gekkosan, JUL 8, 2010
Now let's see how far from the logical meaning we can stray while stil making sense, and using the words provided. :-) - Gekkosan, JUL 8, 2010
2

The amature explorers entered the forest and continued for a couple of hours, (tying white ribbons to the trees as they went). They ended up getting lost (on the return trip) because Vanzando did not know the way (as his friends thought he was littering and quietly cleaned up after him.)

posted by yogamamaof2
jeje - 003487d6, JUL 7, 2010
Nice! - Delores--Lindsey, JUL 7, 2010
Clever solution to the "Avanzando-Vanzando" ambiguity. However, the white ribbons only work by virtue of the picture, not the text alone. You get a vote for cleverness, but we really shouldn't be making stuff up. :-) - Gekkosan, JUL 8, 2010
1

Ok, I think this has been a pretty good first run. Let's see if I can make the rules a bit clearer, from the results we got today, for future issues of the game.

Did eveyone like it? Would you like to see more? Let me know in the comments.

Modified rules:

The principle of the game is to take advantage of the fact that many words can be interpreted in different ways. So the challenge is to try and ignore the mental image we get from reading the whole text, and see what alternate meanings we can come up with for the words provided, so that we end up with a text that is unquestionably a translation of the words provided, but with a different, creative meaning. The guidelines for the game are:

1. It really must be translation. That is, do not make something up: I need to understand why you chose the words you did. Use the interpretation of the words that most appeal your imagination, but do offer an actual translation of the words provided. Please do not add elements that are not in the original text. The idea is to see what much we can do with what we have.

2. Your translated text must make sense when read. In other words, just random, disconnected text does not qualify.

3. Your translated text must be grammatically correct and use proper spelling and capitalization.

4. Use your imagination! Think outside the box! Contemplate the possibilities - Have fun!

Some of the answers show that several of you got the general idea. Here's one example of what else we could do:

The surveyors immersed themselves in the competitive environment, and followed the progression for the time partners. They ended up condemning themselves, as Vanzando was not learned in The Way.

Ok, it is weird, but it is grammatically correct, and every word of the original is translated with a valid meaning. The interpretation is way off from the original meaning, but this is the sort of thing that automated translators do unwittingly, because they do not understand context.

Here, I'm asking that you get outside the context box, and play with the meanings, so that the result is something readable, with a different meaning from the original. What do you all think? Are we game?

edited by Gekkosan
posted by Gekkosan
Yes this is fun! - EggmanS, JUL 8, 2010
More please; this is fun! - Delores--Lindsey, JUL 8, 2010
1

The explorers went deep into the jungle and continued forward for a couple of hours. The ended up getting lost, since Vanzando didn't know the way.

edited by 003487d6
Nice translation. Perhaps a bit too literal for the game, though. :-) - Gekkosan, JUL 8, 2010
0

The explorers went into the bush and followed Mr. Vanzando for a few hours. They ended up getting lost since he didn't know the way. (Very funny!)

posted by margaretbl
Good job.Can you come up with other less literal alternatives, though? - Gekkosan, JUL 8, 2010
Now I get it!!! - margaretbl, JUL 8, 2010