HomeQ&ACorrect my work with conocer and conocer+a

Correct my work with conocer and conocer+a

2

Leamos completa la siguiente conversacion con las formas correctas de conocer, los pronombres de complemento directo o la palabra a.

sonia: mario y daniela, !que gusto verlos! ?--1-- a mi hermano carlos?

daniel: no, no lo ----2----

sonia: carlos, te presento --3-- mis amigos mario y daneil. mario y daneil, les presento --4- mi hermano carlos.

carlos: mario, ?no eres el primo de alberto martinez?

mario si soy su primo. ? --5-- conoces?

carlos: si, lo --6-- muy bien. esta en mi clase de historia y a veces jugamos al tenis despues de clases

1.conoces...would you explain WHY it is conoces if it is right?

2.conozco it is conozco because it is i don't know him

3..What is the answer to this one, i don't understand what it is asking, would you please translate this and tell me the correct answer and why it is the correct.

4.is it conocer? would you explain why it is conocer....is it because it translaes into...I present you guys to know my brother carlos?

5.lo

6.conozco

GRACIAS! if you are fluent in spanish but aren't fluent in english, we can trade skills! just private message me!

posted by phi_tran

2

Please read this grammar article on the personal "a". It is only used when the direct object is a known person(s) or an animal(s) that you have affection for.

the personal "a"

After reading the article make sure that you understand the difference between:

Busco a un hombre que habla español.

and

Busco un hombre que habla español.

This is a classic example for explaining the use of the personal "a". In the first sentence, since you used the "a" you must know the man who speaks Spanish. I am looking for a man (that I know) that speaks Spanish. You don''t have to know him like a friend, just know that he exists.

In the second sentence you are looking for a man that speaks Spanish. There may be such a man or not. The man that you are looking for is unknown to you. You don't know if he exists or not.

Busco doctor. (any doctor...there may not be any there)

Busco al doctor que me dio la medicina. (you know that this doctor exists, even if you don't know his name).

1

I hope that your lesson explains that concept better than your title. The "a" there is the personal "a" which has nothing in particular to do with the verb conocer. Your title makes it seem like a verb that is normally followed by "a" like empezar, comenzar, aprender, ayudar, et.al.

1. conoces is incorrect unless you are only addressing to one of them (tú).

¿Conocen (ustedes) a mi hermano Carlos? if you are addressing both of them at the same time.

Are you using vosotros?

¿Conocéis (vosotros) a mi hermano Carlos?

oops! scratch that. Sonia said verlos; not veros, so she is not using vosotros.

.conozco it is conozco because it is i don't know him

It is conozco because Daniela is saying "No, I do not know him."

"a" You need the personal a here because the direct complement is a known person or pet.

Sonia: "Carlos, I present to you my friends Mario and Daniela" (you used both Daniela and Daniel in your sentences, no idea which is correct). Mario and Daniela, I present to you my brother Carlos. (I'm being formal to do a literal translation. I would phrase it more casually if your Spanish was at a higher level.)

The personal "a:" is not translated. It does not mean at or to.

mario si soy su primo. ? --5-- conoces?

Mario: "Yes, I am his cousin." " Do you know him?" ¿Lo conoces?

I apologize for my beginning comment. Now I understand the problem. You are not quite clear on how to use the personal "a". Please post any follow up questions. I am not that great at explaining grammar.

thanks!, when do i use a like could you give when theres a person/noun/proper noun/pronoun or something like that, the book just says noun or name after it....many things are nouns but the book contrdicts itself. for example it says "?quires conocerla?" - phi_tran, JUL 7, 2010
i thought it would have to have an a with it - phi_tran, JUL 7, 2010
¿Quieres concerla? You don't use it with the d.o.p. ¿Quieres conocer a ella? Here you do. Quiero presentar a Maria. Quiero pesentar a los niños. Whether the d.o. is a pronoun, noun, proper noun makes no difference. If it represents a known person - 0074b507, JUL 7, 2010
or pet you must use the personal a. You don't use it with the d.o.p. Quiero los presentar. Quiero presentarlos. Quiero presentar a ellos. - 0074b507, JUL 7, 2010
Really great answers, Q. - --Mariana--, JUL 7, 2010