HomeQ&ATomorrow for breakfast...

Tomorrow for breakfast...

6

I have just completed lesson 1.3 on the useage of the article a, an, the / el, la, los, las which is also a lesson in foods and related terms.

I was thinking to say , Tomorrow morning, for breakfast, I would like orange juice, fruit, bread, and tea. But I don't want cereal, eggs, or sausages.

The following is likely an awkward translation.

"En la manana, para el desayuno, quiero el jugo de naranja, la fruta, el pan, y el té. Pero no quiéro el cereal, el huevo o el salsicha."

I would appreciate suggestions to the most common ways this could be rightly stated. Fell free to correct any other errors I've made within the sentence.

p.s. the two check ups that I did on the english spanish phrase translation informed me that I had said something like: (1) ... ... dog don't care for cereal... and for a spanish translation of 'tomorrow morning', I received, " Mañana en la manaña.." Would one really say that?

posted by Nise
Maybe You wrote perro = 'dog' by mistake instead of writing pero = meaning,' but' - FELIZ77, JUL 6, 2010
Yes that's right Feliz77.. I just didn't mention that. I corrected after fact. : D - Nise, JUL 6, 2010
.. I just thought it was amusing, and wanted to share the amusement. - Nise, JUL 6, 2010
Nise thanks please se the correction I made to my post quiesiera not quiero = I would like as Goyo correctly statted on his post - FELIZ77, JUL 7, 2010
'see' the correction (sorry, typo ! ) - FELIZ77, JUL 7, 2010

3

Mañana en la mañana, para desayunar.... quiero jugo de naranja, fruta, pan, y té. Pero no quiéro cereal, ni huevos o salchichas.

Aren't you always supposed to use articles? No but I can't explain why to you yet. It's one of those things that you learn in time.

• About articles VS no articles here is rundown on google.
  • quiero fruta 1,510 results....... quiero la fruta 518 results
  • quiero pan 40,500 results...... quiero el pan 1,080 results
  • quiero té 934,000 results...... quiero el té 51,900 results
  • quiero cereales 700 results....... quiero los cereales 29 results
  • quiero huevos 6,840 results...... quiero los huevos 2,020 results
  • quiero salchichas 465 results...... quiero las salchichas 3 results

• Now I'm less of a grammarian and more of a conversational learner, as I am trying to be a speaker. I'm just going by what I hear in natural conversation.

You're right though that Por la mañana is probably more for Spain and en la mañana for Mexico though both are used.

edited by jeezzle
posted by jeezzle
Although I think the guy below me is native, can' tell because his profile isn't filled out, and he is using articles. So I guess we'll see if I am wrong. I want orange juice. Quiero jugo de naranja. Quiero el jugo de naranja. I choose the first choice. - jeezzle, JUL 6, 2010
From wordreference.com ""para el desayuno" no existe... se dice "para desayunar" o "en el desayuno." - jeezzle, JUL 6, 2010
Maybe cereal is plural. - jeezzle, JUL 6, 2010
"para el desayuno" is ok, is more normal "para desayunar". "Mañana en la mañana" is incorrect.Yes i'm native (from Spain) - kawalero, JUL 6, 2010
Mañana en la mañana is not incorrect but por la mañana is used too. - jeezzle, JUL 6, 2010
Here is a thought. Perhaps "Mañana en la mañana is not used in Spain, but would be used in other spanish places, like in South America? do you think this could be the case. This is reflecting on kawlero and jeezle's answers. thanks lessons Appreciated. - Nise, JUL 6, 2010
"en la mañana" is correct (grammatical), but in spain all people said "por la mañana". Perhaps in SudAmerica is ok. - kawalero, JUL 6, 2010
I recognize the difference in context: el desayuno would refer to the breakfast food presented on the table, while 'para desayunar' refers to having 'The breakfast meal', or to say, "For breakfasting" ,tho we don't have that term in English.Sound fair? - Nise, JUL 6, 2010
I thought "en la mañana" and "por la mañana" were completely interchangeable anywhere. - Goyo, JUL 6, 2010
thank you jeezzle. I also like to know the common conversational mode. I appreciate the info. - Nise, JUL 6, 2010
5

"Mañana por la mañana, para el desayuno, quiero zumo de naranja, la fruta, el pan y el té. Pero no quiero los cereales, los huevos o las salchichas."

posted by kawalero
Reflection on that ' zumo ' That's interesting! It also came up on the phrase translation and I wondered if it was a mistake. Can you explain 'zumo' to me.. is it an informal, or 'rad' way to say juice.. or what? - Nise, JUL 6, 2010
I have herad it used more often in Spain especially in Catalunia region eg Barcelona than jugo which was a new word for me meaning Juice - FELIZ77, JUL 6, 2010
I mean heard - FELIZ77, JUL 6, 2010
When I lived in Spain I used "zumo" exclusively for juice. I didn't even know there was another word for juice until I returned to the US. - Helind, JUL 6, 2010
The whole zumo / jugo thing is also interesting to me. In Mexico, we use zumo 0% of the time. - petersenkid2, JUL 7, 2010
it just goes to show how many of these words are regional preferences - FELIZ77, JUL 8, 2010
In addition everywhere I have travelled in Spain I have heard Zumo used both verbally and in written communications eg Menus - FELIZ77, JUL 8, 2010
3

Your request: I was thinking to say , Tomorrow morning, for breakfast, I would like orange juice, fruit, bread, and tea. But I don't want cereal, eggs, or sausages.

= Mañana por la mañana para desayunar quisiera zumo*de naranja, la fruta, el pan y el té pero no quiero los cereales, huevos o las salchichas

o jugo

edited by FELIZ77
posted by FELIZ77
Thanks Feliz77 - Nise, JUL 6, 2010
Nise you are more than welcome Iam glad it helped - FELIZ77, JUL 8, 2010
3

I am a little bit surprised that nobody suggested "no quiero ni los cerales, ni los huevos, ni las salchichas."

I know the lesson that the question refers to is about articles, but I think the "either/or" and "neither/nor" sentence structure applies to both languages, and is worthy of mention here.

posted by petersenkid2
I agree, good point. - Goyo, JUL 6, 2010
If it follows the english rule in this aspect, I would have just applied ' ni las ' at the last mention - Nise, JUL 6, 2010
3

"La mañana" means "morning" while just "mañana" means tomorrow. "Tomorrow morning" would be "mañana por la mañana."

Like jeezzle said, you should say "para desayunar" instead of "para el desayuno."

Your sentence says nothing about a dog. Maybe you were thinking "perro" instead of "pero."

You should also use the plural forms of cereal, eggs, and sausages.

posted by 0097f7e0
Gratias! - Nise, JUL 6, 2010
p.s. I had written ' perro ' the first time around - Nise, JUL 6, 2010
2

If you want to say, "I would like", you can't say "quiero", which is more forceful: "I want".

Instead, you need to say either

"Quisiera zumo de naranja" - I would like orange juice

or

"Me gustaría zumo de naranja" - - I would like orange juice.

posted by Goyo
There is sooo much to learn before I will be able to change my 'foot in mouth' avatar for a bright star! - Nise, JUL 6, 2010
Good point Goyo I must have been half awake/asleep when I wrote my post here I habe adjusted /corrected I usually don't make that basic kind of mistake - FELIZ77, JUL 7, 2010
I 'have' adjusted it I mean - FELIZ77, JUL 7, 2010
1

stop being spoilt, get your own breakfast, then you won't have this problem.

posted by Stig345
Bzz- reject. - Goyo, JUL 6, 2010
Ha ha ha ha! Funny guy! How would you say, " Would you like bacon with your eggs Roger ?" - Nise, JUL 6, 2010
1

Wouldn't it just be suficient to say"Mañana de desayuno solo quiero jugo de naranja, fruta, pan y té no quiero cereal ni huevos o salchichas." It is understood that breakfast is consumed in the morning. One does not use plural cereal, using this way." Huevos " is plural unless you are only eating one same for "salchichas".

posted by Silvia
I knew cereal wasn't plural. - jeezzle, JUL 6, 2010
Love it! sounds soooooooo... Español! - Nise, JUL 6, 2010