HomeQ&AIs there a similar expression to "Wow" in Spanish?

Is there a similar expression to "Wow" in Spanish?

4

I am trying to translate a document and am hoping to place this into it. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: "Wow! Another exciting week at camp!"

It's for a newsletter for a summer literacy program for elementary school students. Many of the parents only speak Spanish so it has to be translated.

updated AGO 8, 2014
edited by LateToDinner
posted by tawhitsett

4

How about ¡Vaya!

updated SEP 15, 2010
Good choice Marianne! - 002262dd, JUL 6, 2010
wow translates to "caramba" in Spanish - donflugencio, JUL 6, 2010
3

guau = wow

In grammar, an interjection or exclamation is a lexical category used as a way to refer to some mentioned or understood noun without a grammatical connection.

updated SEP 25, 2010
posted by 002262dd
I see this one a lot... :D - NikkiLR, JUL 6, 2010
3

There is a direct translation here in Mexico.

híjole!

If you type wow into the translator it won't come up with híjole, but if you type híjole into the translator, it comes up with "wow".

From personal experience, I think it is a 1:1 translation.

updated SEP 15, 2010
posted by petersenkid2
and if you d-click on it it comes up "gosh" - Yeser007, SEP 15, 2010
1

I agree with PanzaChelera.

I have heard people who don´t speak English say "wow!" while speaking Spanish, and to my ear this sounds really strange. Imagine an English speaker who doesn´t speak Spanish saying "¡híjole!" or "¡puta madre!" while speaking English. It´s just as weird.

updated AGO 8, 2014
posted by 005faa61
1

I think a more standard translation would be "maravilloso!!!" (wonderful!) as there is not a wow equivalence that suits spanish in every spanish speaking countries. By the way, translating "great" into "genial" is a weird mistake, pity it has became so common. Genial in spanish is "the referent to a Genius", I mean "the referent to a High IQ person"

It would be correct. for example

"The student solved 100 out 100 questions in the test --Great"

El alumno resolvio 100 de 100 preguntas en el examen. --Genial

updated AGO 8, 2014
posted by PanzaChelera
1

Perhaps he's looking for a more standard transalation.

If you pick "hijole" then it'll work for Mexicans,

then if insterad you pick "Genial", "Qué maravilla" o "Qué emocion!" ... - another exciting week at camp. I'm not sure what you chose for exciting but usually translators go with "emocionante" , so I gave you an alternative for "que maravilla".

Hope it helped.

updated SEP 15, 2010
posted by th4n4t0s25
instead :) - FELIZ77, SEP 15, 2010
1

I agree with híjole! ... I hear vaya as in interjection in shows but rarely in real life.

posted by jeezzle
1

I wonder if it might be OK to use ¡Esto es genial! or ¡Qué genial! or maybe just ¡Genial!

posted by Izanoni1
1

"Wow! Another exciting week at camp!" It's for a newsletter for a summer literacy program for elementary school students. Many of the parents only speak Spanish so it has to be translated.

posted by tawhitsett
I edited into your question to make it easier to find. Thanks - LateToDinner, JUL 6, 2010
1

¡Uau!

posted by kawalero
1

I think Marianne was awfully brave to volunteer an answer without any context! I tried to think how many ways there are to say wow in English and how many different meanings could be attached!

Wow, this is a stupid answer, Wow, that's a great question, Wow! What a Babe!

context?

edited by LateToDinner
posted by LateToDinner
I think ¡Vaya! could be used in all of your examples. It's the context and way you say it (tone of voice) that gives it meaning. - --Mariana--, JUL 6, 2010
0

Caray! My spanish I & 2 college textbook show this word as Wow! It can also mean Rats! or Darn!

updated SEP 15, 2010
posted by foxluv
0

uau=wow, and, it is pronounced the same way.

updated SEP 15, 2010
posted by MeEncantanCarasSonrisas
0

If you put the word 'wow' into the search engine above you will get quite a lot!

posted by margaretbl