HomeQ&AWhat does escar mean?

What does escar mean?

2

What does escar mean?

posted by molliegirl44
never heard of the word. Estar or escapar maybe...there are many other possibilities. - 00813f2a, JUL 6, 2010
Escara o postilla which mean scab. - 00813f2a, JUL 6, 2010

3

Hola,

There are several Spanish words that begin with escar, but escar is not, according to the RAE, a complete word. If you have seen the word in print then it may be a typo. It might be, as kittycow has suggested, estar, or even secar. On the other hand, it's very possible that you may have heard a Spanish speaker say "escar". If so, they were likely saying, the English word, scar with a heavy Spanish accent. When Spanish speakers are learning to speak English it can take a lot of practice to pronounce words beginning with sc, st, sl etc. without adding an e to the beginning. In Spanish there are no words which begin with an s and another consonant. In addition, all borrowed words, like scooter, are pronounced by placing the e in front - (escúter).

Maybe it's Spanglish, or espanglish as the Spanish speaker would say. cool smile

edited by canicos
posted by canicos
nice answer - 0097f7e0, JUL 6, 2010
3

As far as I know, "escar" is not a word. Maybe you are thinking of estar.

posted by 0097f7e0
2

Escar is a surname. Example:

Javier Escar. or in Facebook, other example: http://es-es.facebook.com/people/Elena-Escar-Hernandez/100000508819866

posted by kawalero
0

Escar is not a real Spanish word but, as others have suggested, is probably a typo/typing or printing mistake.

However, don't be discouraged in your serach for the real word as a number of close possibilities exist/remain, which include:

Verbos/verbs

Escarpar vi = to escape

Escarbar vi = to dig, scrabble or scractch around Escarbar vt to dig a hole Escarchar vt-- to crystallize

Nouns:

escara = scab , crust, slough

escarcha** = frost**

and finally, escarabajo = beetle

I hope that one of these triggers something in your memory and you you think Yes thats the word but if not I hope you are able to find it happy searching ! lol

edited by FELIZ77
posted by FELIZ77
Hey, Feliz. I think you have a typo. Escapar is to escape, not escarpar. :) - MacFadden, JUL 6, 2010
0

Escar? Or do you possibly mean Estar?

Estar is one of the two verbs meaning = to be it can sound a little like escar if you are not familiar with the sounds of the Spanish alphabet

por ejemplo;

estoy sentando en una silla = I am sitting down on (/in) a chair (indicates an action actually taking place at the time)

estoy en casa = I am at home

posted by FELIZ77