HomeQ&A"third world country" = tercer mundo correct?

"third world country" = tercer mundo correct?

3

How would you say the opposite of "third world"? paises desarrollados? primer mundo? paises ricos?

edited by Fidalgo
posted by ahbuela
changed category - Fidalgo, JUL 5, 2010

4
  • 1st world=aligned with Capitalism and NATO
  • 2nd Word=aligned with Communism & USSR
  • 3rd World=non-aligned

Cold War terms. Now the term 3rd world synonymous with "under-developed". The other nations are termed "developed" nations.

developed country

País desarrollado

¡Bienvenida al foro!

Welcome to the forum!

I never new about "2nd world." Good tutorial, Q. - 005faa61, JUL 5, 2010
Another tutorial: Sometimes when people in Mexico get frustrated with the situation there, they say, "México es un país del quinto mundo." True story - 005faa61, JUL 5, 2010
2

Q has given you the best answer, of course.

Here's a Wikipedia article on "los países de tercer mundo" (Third World countries) and where the term originated.

The term "país desarrollado" (Developed country) can be found here in this article.

You can convert Wikipedia articles from Spanish to English (and vice versa) by clicking on the language bar (on the left hand side of the screen).

edited by --Mariana--
1

In Spanish we say: "país del tercer mundo" or "países subdesarrollados"

edited by Benz
posted by Benz
Also: "países desarrollados" or "países del primer mundo" :) - Benz, JUL 5, 2010
1

Thanks for your responses. I certainly understand your considerations qfreed. I want to be sensitive to connotations of language when I write about this. I was in a conference in Chiapas. The organizers divided us into two groups -- those from US, Canada, Europe, in one group, those from Spanish and Portuguese-speaking countries (mostly Mexicans) in the other, for a beautiful, very moving, exercise of healing (healing injury resulting from exploitation by the one group of the other group etc...) I'm now writing about that exercise and trying to remember what terms the Mexicans used to refer to the two groups. I thought I remembered the phrase tercer mundo. I can't even think of terms in English that I'm really comfortable with. All your remarks and comments are very helpful.

posted by ahbuela
0

Qfreed said:

1st world=aligned with Capitalism and NATO 2nd Word=aligned with Communism & USSR 3rd World=non-aligned

I totally agree with Q regarding the fact that the term "3rd world" is now synonymous with "under-developed".

I taught "Travel and Tourism" in a Minnesota technical college for 35 years. And, I worked very hard at not using the term "3rd world" when discussing what I called "developing" countries. To me, the term "3rd world" had become extremely demeaning. I still feel strongly about this and only use the term "developing" when referring to nations that were formerly called "3rd world" countries.

Of course, this is just my personal opinion and I'll get off my soap-box now!

posted by Pajaro44