HomeQ&ATattoo Translation - my 6 core values "Amor, Fuerza, Honradez, Lealtad, Valentia, Integridad"

Tattoo Translation - my 6 core values "Amor, Fuerza, Honradez, Lealtad, Valentia, Integridad"

2

If I wanted the following words translated to English as a tattoo, have I got the corrrect interpretations: Love, Strength, Honour, Loyalty, Courage, Integrity. In Spanish, Amor, Fuerza, Honradez, Lealtad, Valentia, Integridad.

I think i'm OK with everything except Courage - several translation engines give Valentia or Valor to mean Courage. Both seem to relate to Bravery or Valour. Which is the correct word to use with regard to "strength of Character" or Emotional Strength"?

Also, if somebody could clarify all of the six words i have chosen for my tattoo and verify that I have the correct contexts, that would be great.

Thanks for any replies.

posted by woody90123
courage ---> coraje - epicfail, JUL 4, 2010

0

If you are in Europe and plan to use the words "honour" or "valour" the British English version has the "u". In the U.S. they are spelled "honor" and "valor".

I agree w/Margaret. I think that "honradez" in the sense of "honor" is "honor" but in the sense of "honestidad" it's "honesty".

I think that "courage" is fine for "valentía". It's a more common word than "valor" and just sounds better to me than "bravery" as far a tattoo goes. I could say: "Sometimes it takes a lot of courage to be honest." meaning "It takes strength of character" so I think that it works in the context that you mean.

Note that in Spanish "coraje" can mean "anger"...me da coraje...It makes me angry...but, in English this is not the case with "courage". "Courage" never means "anger"; it just means "coraje" in the sense of "valencía" or "valor".

posted by alba3
0

Please delete,

edited by margaretbl
posted by margaretbl
0

Strength of character could be 'fuerza de carácter' but you might say simply 'coraje' for courage or valour. Honradez actually translates as 'honesty'. For honour in English it is 'honor' in Spanish.

posted by margaretbl