HomeQ&AHow Do You Translate The Following Into Standard American Spanish?: Please Throw Trash Into Trash Bin, Littering Will Be Fined"

How Do You Translate The Following Into Standard American Spanish?: Please Throw Trash Into Trash Bin, Littering Will Be Fined"

4

please & thanks

posted by la_chamaquita13
Spanish language used by Hispanic people in the US? - Fidalgo, JUL 4, 2010

4

Por favor, eche la basura en el cubo de la basura. Los que tira la basura por la calle se multará.

posted by Goyo
0

Standard American Spanish????

posted by Yeser007
America is two continents, not just the United States of - 003487d6, JUL 4, 2010
For most people in the world America includes two continents worth of countries, not just the United States. - KevinB, JUL 4, 2010
To some people it is just one big continent - 003487d6, JUL 4, 2010
Didn't we cut the two continents apart when we dug the Panama Canal? ;-) - KevinB, JUL 4, 2010
However, American often refers to the US, not the continent. For example, American people = el pueblo estadounidense - Fidalgo, JUL 4, 2010
Thus, the question is unclear. If the asker implied the continent, he / she should have written "Latin American Spanish" - Fidalgo, JUL 4, 2010
Well to clarify my statement there is nothing standard about it. Spanish is Spanish and though there are differences between the Americas and Spain there are just as many between the Spanish speaking countries of the Americas. - Yeser007, JUL 4, 2010
And Kevin, I don't think we actually cut them apart, the waterway was already there we just made it suitable for passage. - Yeser007, JUL 4, 2010
The Hispanic people consider North and South America only a continent, but the English/ American people don't - Fidalgo, JUL 4, 2010
In my country, I was taught that there is one continent which stretches from Greenland to Tierra del fuego - Fidalgo, JUL 4, 2010
Yesero, I don't think that the waterway was already there. First it was a road, then a railway, then a canal. And the rivers were a hindrance that were diverted; not used. Read site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Panama_Canal#Pre-canal_tim - 0074b507, JUL 4, 2010
Thanks Quentin, I should have paid more attention when I visited there. - Yeser007, JUL 5, 2010
So is it not clear to seperate South America from North America? - Fidalgo, JUL 5, 2010
there is North America, Central America and South America. In North America there is Canada and the United States.:) - Brynleigh, JUL 14, 2010
0

The two together are the Americas, like North and South Carolina are the Carolinas.

Thus (by the same reasoning) Europe and Asia are one continent. The Europes? the Asias?

posted by samdie
I don't get why they are two continents. Many people call it one continent - Eurasia. - KevinB, JUL 5, 2010
Yes, Eurasia, as Kevin said. Eurafarasia or Afro -Eurasia for Africa, Europe, Asia - Fidalgo, JUL 5, 2010
0

American Spanish? Never heard of it. I'm fluent the American dialect of English and I can speak Spanish pretty well, but I can't imagine how you combine the two into "American Spanish"... Spanglish perhaps?

posted by MeEncantanCarasSonrisas
America is the name of two continents. Our country is one of the countries on one of those continents - The United States of America. - KevinB, JUL 4, 2010
I think the name of those 2 continents is "the Americas" - Fidalgo, JUL 4, 2010
Ive never met anyone from South America who calls themselves an American. They call themselves Chileans, Brasilians, Argentinians, Columbians, etc. - amykay, JUL 4, 2010
The two together are the Americas, like North and South Carolina are the Carolinas. - KevinB, JUL 4, 2010
"I've never met anyone from South America who calls themselves an American" - No, but if you tell them Soy Americano, they are likely to reply, Yo también. They can be touchy about that. - KevinB, JUL 4, 2010
America is one continent in the point of view of Hispanic countries es.wikipedia.org/wiki/América - Fidalgo, JUL 4, 2010
Kevin, I've had the same experience with Canadians. - Yeser007, JUL 5, 2010
Nearly every native Spanish speaker that I have met from South America say 'Soy Peruana' o 'Soy Argentino' not American - FELIZ77, JUL 5, 2010
0

La chamaquita, Welcome to the forum, as you can see Goyo answered your question nicely and I really meant no disrespect by my response but it turned out to be a very provocative question. I did get the idea you were looking for Latin American but it was the word standard that got me since I still, with all it's regional dialects, cannot imagine a "Standard American Spanish". Anyway you got some good rep points out of it.smile

posted by Yeser007
0

Tirar basura es un delito.

As far as the American Spanish goes. I think it's valid. I am an American and I speak Spanish - along with millions of other Americans. The Spanish spoken in the US is different than the Spanish spoken in Europe or in other places, so although I'd never heard it before, it makes sense to me.

posted by petersenkid2
0

América is short for the United States of America...then there is the American Continent and the Americas, Central, South and North America.

posted by 00813f2a